If I Have Learned Anything

Posted by Unknown On Saturday, February 19, 2011 9 comments
I turned 50 recently and have been doing a lot of soul searching. It is funny how we never stop learning and are constantly evolving to be better, stronger, wiser, forgetting what lies behind and moving on to grasp what lies ahead.

This evening, I slipped into a reflective mood whilst reading the news and thought about the many precious lessons I learnt in the last five years and how some experiences have completely transformed me to be a different person from what I used to be.

As such, I went through my archives to look for this inspiring post which I am reposting again...You have probably seen it in the email circuit but truly, it is most thought-provoking and I hope that it has some value for you and yours. Take care and treasure the moments we have on this earth. Let's do our best and what we can to make the world a better place. Take care and have a restful evening.



IF I HAVE LEARNED ANYTHING

- Author Unknown-
* I've learned that you can get by on charm for about 15 minutes.
After that, you'd better know something.

* I've learned that you shouldn't compare yourself to the best others can do, but to the best you can do.

* I've learned that it's not what happens to people that's important.
It's what they do about it.

* I've learned that you can do something in an instant that will give you a heartache for life.

* I've learned that no matter how thin you slice it, there are always two sides.

* I've learned that regardless of your relationship with your parents, you miss them terribly after they die.

* I've learned that it's taking me a long time to become the person I want to be.

* I've learned that it's a lot easier to react than it is to think.

* I've learned that you should always leave loved ones with loving words.
It may be the last time you see them.

* I've learned that you can keep going long after you think you can't.

* I've learned that we are responsible for what we do, no matter how we feel.

* I've learned that either you control your attitude or it controls you.

* I've learned that regardless of how hot and steamy a relationship is at first, the passion fades and there had better be something else to take its place.

* I've learned that heroes are the people who do what has to be done, when it needs to be done, regardless of the consequences.

* I've learned that when the light turns green, you had better look both ways before proceeding.

* I've learned that you can love someone and still not like them very much.

* I've learned that there are people who love you dearly, but just don't know how to show it.

* I've learned that my best friend and I can do anything or nothing and still have the best time.

* I've learned that sometimes the people you expect to kick you when you're down will be the ones to help you get back up.

* I've learned that I'm getting more and more like my mom, and I'm kind of happy about it.

* I've learned that sometimes when I'm angry, I have the right to be angry, but that doesn't give me the right to be cruel.

* I've learned that true friendship continues to grow, even over the longest distance.

* I've learned that just because someone doesn't love you the way you want them to doesn't mean they don't love you with all they have.

* I've learned that no matter how much I care, some people just don't care back.

* I've learned that you should never tell a child his dreams are unlikely or outlandish. Few things are more humiliating, and what a tragedy it would be if he believed it.

* I've learned that your family won't always be there for you. It may seem funny, but people you aren't related to can take care of you and love you and teach you to trust people again. Families aren't biological.

* I've learned that no matter how good a friend someone is, they're going to hurt you every once in awhile and you must forgive them for that.

* I've learned that it isn't always enough to be forgiven by others. Sometimes you have to learn to forgive yourself.

* I've learned that no matter how bad your heart is broken, the world doesn't stop for your grief.

* I've learned that our background and circumstances may have influenced who we are, but we are responsible for who we become.

* I've learned that sometimes when my friends fight, I'm forced to choose sides even when I don't want to.

* I've learned that just because two people argue, it doesn't mean they don't love each other.

* I've learned that sometimes you have to put the individual ahead of their actions.

* I've learned that it takes years to build up trust, and only seconds to destroy it.

* I've learned that we don't have to change friends if we understand that friends change.

* I've learned that you shouldn't be so eager to find out a secret. It could change your life forever.

* I've learned that it's not what you have in your life but whom you have in your life that counts.

* I've learned that two people can look at the exact same thing and see something totally different.

* I've learned that a good friend is better than a therapist.

* I've learned that you cannot make someone love you. All you can do is be someone who can be loved. The rest is up to them.

* I've learned that it's hard to determine where to draw the line between being nice and not hurting people's feelings and standing up for what you believe.

9 comments to If I Have Learned Anything

  1. says:

    Ummie Thanks a lot
    I've learned it from you.

    Many Happy & Healthy Days Ahead.
    Happy Birthday.

  1. says:

    Unknown Hi Ummie

    Thanks so much! My birthday was more than a month ago and I am getting used to the digit 5 :-). Wishing you many happy and healthy days ahead in your life always.

    Take care and have a great Sunday!

    Salam

  1. says:

    Anonymous As I Get Older I Ponder...

    1. Now that food has replaced sex in my life, I can't even
    get into my own pants.

    2. Marriage changes passion. Suddenly you're in bed with a
    relative.

    3. I saw a woman wearing a sweatshirt with "Guess" on it.
    So I said, "Implants?" She hit me.

    4. I don't do drugs. At my age I get the same effect just
    standing up fast.

    5. Sign in a Chinese Pet Store: "Buy one dog, get one
    flea..."

    6. I don't approve of political jokes. I've seen too many
    of them get elected.

    7. There are two sides to every divorce: Yours and
    Sh1t-head's.

    8. I love being married. It's so great to find that one
    special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life.

    9. Isn't having a smoking section in a restaurant like
    having a peeing section in a swimming pool?

    10. Why is it that most nudists are people you don't want
    to see naked?

    11. A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but,
    a true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
    "Sh1t...that was fun!"

    12. I signed up for an exercise class and was told to wear
    loose-fitting clothing. If I HAD any loose-fitting
    clothing, I wouldn't have signed up in the first place!

    13. When I was young we used to go "skinny dipping," now I
    just "chunky dunk."

    14. Wouldn't it be nice if whenever we messed up our life
    we could simply press "Ctrl Alt Delete' and start all over?

    15. Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall
    off.

    16. Wouldn't you know it...Brain cells come and brain cells
    go, but FAT cells live forever.

    17 Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant.



    --- Author Unknown ---

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Anon # 3

    WOW!! I *heart* this list that you have so kindly shared here this evening. Thanks so much! I hope you do not mind if I repost it separately. There is much wit, rib-cracking humor and the kind of wisdom that hurts but makes us wiser!

    Take care and thanks again for swinging by to add value to the post with your input. Do keep in touch.

    Have a great week!

    Best wishes

  1. says:

    UP41 Dear MWS, Welcome to the over half century club. How many 10 years left for us who cross this half century mark ? 1, 2 ,3 ,4 ? OR should we ask how many more meaningful, mindful10 years left for us ? Or is it that the length of time is not critical but the meaning and processes ? There are people blossom after 50 and there are people wither away after retiring. Which group do we belong ?

  1. says:

    Anonymous I've learned that successful people do not reach the top by dropping there, but they planned and climb up there.

    I've learned that the best teacher we can ever find were those experiences we have gone through life.

    I've learned that success is getting what you want, happiness is wanting what you get and health is not valued till sickness comes.

    I've learned that success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed.

    I've learned that the happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything that they have.

    I've learned that the richest person is not the one who has the most, but the one who needs the least.

    I've learned that you cannot get what you've never had unless you're willing to do what you've never done.

    I've learned that unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow.

    I've learned that unless a man undertakes more than he possibly can do, he will never do all he can do.

    I've learned that people who never do any more than they are paid for never get paid for any more than they do.

    I've learned that it's your attitude, not your aptitude, that will determine your attitude.

    I've learned that you can never achieve real success unless you like what you are doing.

    ~ahoo~

  1. says:

    Unknown Hi UP41

    Of course I want to be in the group that blossoms! Always thought you are a young person!!! Are you sure you are over 50??? Take care and may we all age gracefully! God bless you with health, happiness and love!

    Cheers!

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Ahoo

    Many thanks for sharing that...It sounds familiar and I am not sure if I have posted it before too haha...Very forgetful...did u write that, ahoo?

    Take care and have a blessed week!

    Shalom

  1. says:

    UP41 Dear MWS, I wish I am still below 50 ! Cheer! > 50 is wisdom, grace and patience. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
.