THE POLITICAL HUMOR OF WILL ROGERS

Posted by Unknown On Monday, June 29, 2009 6 comments
Will Rogers was an amazing person and one of the wisest men of any generation. His accomplishments include being a champion lasso thrower, a performer on the Broadway stage, the star of 71 movies, a radio broadcaster, an author of six books, and a syndicated newspaper columnist. Will Rogers traveled around the world three times and befriended presidents, senators, prime ministers, and kings.

Will Rogers was famous for his simple, insightful humor and his ability to connect honestly with everyone he met. His comments about politics in general and the politics of his generation are among his most memorable. The following are some of the best Will Rogers political quotes.

There’s no trick to being a humorist when you have the whole government working for you.

Ancient Rome declined because it had a Senate; now what’s going to happen to us with both a Senate and a House?

I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat.

I don’t make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts.

The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.

The income tax has made more liars out of the American people than golf has.

On account of being a democracy and run by the people, we are the only nation in the world that has to keep a government four years, no matter what it does.

The man with the best job in the country is the Vice President. All he has to do is get up every morning and say, "How's the President?"

An economist’s guess is liable to be as good as anybody else’s.

Alexander Hamilton started the U.S. Treasury with nothing -- and that was the closest our country has ever been to being even.

If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can’t it get us out?

Be thankful we’re not getting all the government we’re paying for.

Politics has become so expensive that it takes a lot of money even to be defeated.

Diplomacy is the art of saying “Nice doggie” until you can find a rock.

A fool and his money are soon elected.

About all I can say for the United States Senate is that it opens with a prayer and closes with an investigation.

Our Constitution protects aliens, drunks, and U.S. Senators.

Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.

Politics is applesauce.

Diplomats are just as essential to starting a war as soldiers are for finishing it… You take diplomacy out of war, and the thing would fall flat in a week.

I bet after seeing us, George Washington would sue us for calling him “father.”

There ought to be one day—just one—when there is open season on senators.

The country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer.

If I studied all my life, I couldn’t think up half the number of funny things passed in one session of Congress.

If you ever injected truth into politics you’d have no politics.

Things in our country run in spite of government, not by aid of it.

We don’t seem to be able to check crime, so why not legalize it and then tax it out of business?

Everything is changing. People are taking their comedians seriously and the politicians as a joke.

Liberty doesn’t work as well in practice as it does in speeches.

Ohio claims they are due a president as they haven’t had one since Taft. Look at the United States; they have not had one since Lincoln.

The 1928 Republican Convention opened with a prayer. If the Lord can see His way clear to bless the Republican Party the way it’s been carrying on, then the rest of us ought to get it without even asking.

There is no more independence in politics than there is in jail.

All I know is just what I read in the papers, and that’s an alibi for my ignorance.

Will Rogers was asked about the nature of his humorous remarks about politicians. "I have often said in answer to inquiries as to how I got away with kidding some of our public men, that it was because I liked all of them personally, and that if there was no malice in your heart there could be none in your gags, and I have always said I never met a man I didn’t like."

Author's Bio
Garry Gamber is a public school teacher and entrepreneur. He writes articles about politics, real estate, home businesses, poetry, and books. He is the National Director of Good Politics Radio and owns an online BookWise bookstore.

6 comments to THE POLITICAL HUMOR OF WILL ROGERS

  1. says:

    Lee Wow! You the 1st lady I know who knows or reads Will Rogers.
    Some might know or heard of Roy Rogers, ha ha.
    I too love his humor and wit, not to mention his one liners.

    Psssst, I looked at your pics in this page, you have a nice kid and hubby and a very attractive lady friend too. And you golf too.
    Wayyyyy to go!
    Best regards, Lee.

  1. says:

    Unknown Hi Uncle Lee,

    Yay! Not many people know Will Rogers and am I glad you do! You are also very well read, informed and write beautifully :-). Ever thought of publishing your writings?

    Ah - My lady friend is single and available :-) and it would be my pleasure to introduce her to you. :-)

    Thanks for the kind words re my family...My older boy is a 2nd year contemporary music major (violin/guitar) at a local university while younger boy is going to be 11 in a few months. My hubby and girlfriend golf but I have been advised not to try it because of my spinal injury. That is why I have to do other exercises :-)...

    Thanks for stopping by, Uncle Lee. Have a great week!

    Warmest wishes,
    mws

  1. says:

    Walt Will Rogers:
    When I die, my epitaph or whatever you call those signs on gravestones is going to read: "I joked about every prominent man of my time, but I never met a man I didn't like." I am so proud of that I can hardly wait to die so it can be carved. And when you come to my grave you will find me sitting there, proudly reading it.

    I have a feeling he was talking about real men, who are brave honest, and compassionate.

    Too often the depiction of a real man is one who bullies others, is opinionated, harsh and tough. But the overwhelming consensus is that this portrayal is actually less like a real man than many think. A real man doesn't use his fists or strength to define himself as such. A man should have the following qualities to be classified as a real man.

    Step 1
    Treat women with respect. A real man doesn't abuse a woman physically or mentally. Same goes with treatment of children and animals. A real man doesn't need to prove himself by bullying.

    Step 2
    Keep yourself well-groomed and physically fit. A real man keeps his hair neat and nails trimmed. A real man also stays in good physical shape.

    Step 3
    Make your own fortune. A real man does not accept handouts or charity. He works hard to support himself and his family. If family money comes to him, a real man finds a way to increase that fortune not squander it.

    Step 4
    Stay true to your word. A real man knows that keeping a promise is stronger than physical strength. Keep your word in all matters, business and personal. You will gain the respect a real man warrants.

    Step 5
    Show your emotions. Most studies show women think a man who can as easily cry as laugh and is not afraid to show his emotions not only to her but to the world classifies a man as a real man.

    Step 6
    Help with housework. A real man is not afraid to do laundry or dishes, change a diaper or run a vacuum cleaner.

  1. says:

    jonno1951 Paula

    Thanks for this post. I particularly like this quote the best:

    "I don’t make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts".

    It is so funny and yet sadly so true. Politicians are not only jokers, they are truly scoundrels. It is all about expediency. As you can already tell that I have very low opinion of politicians just as I have low opinions of lawyers.

    I know that I am making a very wide sweeping statement here but I make no apology of my feelings. They are the scums of the earth. The by products of the worst of human kind. They may all start well intentioned but always end up the same.

    Best
    John

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Walt,

    What a beautiful comment you have left in my blog! Thanks a lot...You are a true blue Will Rogers fan indeed who understands his perspective.

    Oh no - please do not talk about death - we both still have many good years before we say adios amigos...:-) And you must visit Malaysia soon.

    Thanks for sharing the views about a real man...It takes a real man to do that and you are definitely ONE REAL MAN,

    Take care and blessings to you.

  1. says:

    Unknown Hi Uncle John,

    You are early today! Good morning to you...

    :-) You are in your element today, Uncle John. I can almost see the smoke from your nostrils and ears all the way from down under :-). Indeed, many such leaders or pseudo leaders have disappointed the very people who elected them to power. Hopefully, one day they can wake up and discover that they do have a conscience after all!

    Take care and have a good day, dear Uncle John.

    hugs and cheers to you from all of us

Related Posts with Thumbnails
.