NOT QUITE BLACK OR WHITE

Posted by Unknown On Saturday, July 17, 2010 16 comments
In life, a lesson learned in your past that you will never forget completely. When I was in elementary school, I got into a major argument with a boy in my class. I have forgotten what the argument was about, but I have never forgotten the lesson learned that day.



I was convinced that "I" was right and "he" was wrong - and he was just as convinced that "I" was wrong and "he" was right. The teacher decided to teach us a very important lesson. She brought us up to the front of the class and placed him on one side of her desk and me on the other.

In the middle of her desk was a large, round object. I could clearly see that it was black. She asked the boy what color the object was. "White," he answered.

I couldn’t believe he said the object was white, when it was obviously black! Another argument started between my classmate and me, this time about the color of the object.

The teacher told me to go stand where the boy was standing and told him to come stand where I had been. We changed places, and now she asked me what the color of the object was. I had to answer, "White." It was an object with two differently colored sides, and from his viewpoint it was white. Only from my side was it black.

My teacher taught me a very important lesson learned that day: You must stand in the other person’s shoes and look at the situation through their eyes in order to truly understand their perspective.

-Author Unknown-

16 comments to NOT QUITE BLACK OR WHITE

  1. says:

    HotDogg I never knew there's such a simple, yet effective way to resolve an argument.

    And I thought I was a smart Corgi.

  1. says:

    nick Sis,

    I bet you that Perkasa or I.A ( Intelligent Absconded) will not and would not agree at all. What ever it is, he and his ilk will insist that only the "sawo matang" color exist in Malaysia and all other colors are just a late addition thus has an inferior status. (To I.A, it's his point of view that really matters and nothing else).

    The only way of dealing with those type of people is to throw the round thing at their face and let them see stars! And not to mention sending their political master to the political landfill and be buried forever in concrete!

    Good nite Sis and GOD bless.

    Nick.

  1. says:

    Anonymous "You must stand in the other person’s shoes and look at the situation through their eyes in order to truly understand their perspective."

    Very true.

    This is the fundamental thing to do but here in Malusial, racist bUmno ideology simply refuses to do so. To them, it has to be a one-way street affair to their unbridled benefits all the time.

    They invariably must throw in their fatalistic and fake victimhood bathos just as the Ayrabs are so fond of doing and making themselves infamously dyfunctional in the eyes of the world. Resentment became the substitute for genuine pride.

    ~wits0~

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Little Corgi

    You are very cute and certainly live up to your Corgi character LOL!!

    Cheers and thanks for the smiles!

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Nick

    Aha - I was hoping someone would be able to pick up the subtle message I was sending via this story and true enough, you did it!!!

    Thank you, Nick. You can read in between the lines of my posts brilliantly!

    Thank you for a very power-packed comment tinged with sarcasm and humorous wit!

    Take care and have a great day ahead.

    Good night and may God bless you with a new vision for our country.

    Salam

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear ~wits0~

    It almost seems as though some of them live in a monochrome world if you get my drift.

    We are the ones who are dysfunctional while they strut around in their plastic perfected persona! Of course their hearts are filled with resentment beneath the veneer of false pride.

    Little do they know they are cruising down the path of self-destruction. We leave them to the judgement of their Maker.

    Take care and thanks for sharing.

    Cheers

  1. says:

    Darth vader MWS,

    In order to send parasites like Perkosa or IA to oblivion, we must first get the real "master/(s) to Perkosa.

    In the "forth" coming election, i bet you to the last ringgit in my wallet (only little left after the gov INCREASE PRICE just this) that they are not going to play "CLEAN". The master will make use of all the help they can lay thier hands on. Those includes, the dogs, the kangaroos, frogs, flies, skunks, etc etc.... again too long to mention.

    As such, i hope you can publish the Memorandum submitted to SPR by Bersih 2.0 . Let the cyber world be aware of the memorandum.

    Here is the link
    http://www.themicahmandate.org/2010/07/malaysian-civil-societys-memorandum-on-electoral-reforms-in-malaysia-2010/

    This is our birth right and cast in stone in the constitution that SPR owes it to the rakyat to ensure a free and fair election.

  1. says:

    Captain Obvious Dear masterwordsmith,

    The truth is rarely pure and never simple. NOT! Why? Because... SHIT, I don't know... that's why.

    Anyway, pardon me for the liberty I took for my little soliloquise, and I do resonate with your notion. It's akin to when I pronounced, 'I had a lovely solo played on my private organ in this lovely room of mine!'..... O, perish the thought! What sort of embarrassing rot floweth through thy head!!!!! Ahem... hence the outcome, dissonance in which occurs in diverse minds.

    Take care and do have a lovely weekend!

    Cheers!

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Captain Obvious

    :-) Thank you for your very candid comment. It is true that the truth is "rarely pure and never simple". This story merely emphasizes the need for empathy and excludes many other variables which we might encounter in real life.

    Dissonance in diverse minds - has probably been the root of many conflicts but then again, when we can empathize, the storm recedes when we agree to disagree...ah - that is philosophical and idealistic me speaking.

    Thanks for swinging by to share your thoughts. Do take care and have a lovely Sunday!

    Cheers

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Darth Vader

    Many thanks for that very civic-minded comment you have shared this evening.

    I agree with what you said wholeheartedly and firmly believe that the wheels of election machinery are spinning very quickly and a lot is happening in a very hush-hush manner.

    When they say there will not be any elections, it simply means it is likely to be round the corner. Such red herrings don't work any more haha!

    Thank you for the exhortation to publish the Bersih memo and for the link. I read it in the earlier part of the evening and am amazed at the volume of time, effort and energy they put in to draft that memo which has explored many facets of the issue.

    I will publish sections of it regularly by next week.

    Take care and once again, thank you so much for being a caring and patriotic Malaysian.

    Take care and have a lovely weekend. Do keep in touch!

    Cheers

  1. says:

    Captain Obvious Dear masterwordsmith,

    'when we can empathize, the storm recedes when we agree to disagree...ah - that is the philosophical and idealistic me speaking.'

    Philosophical or idealistic, god knows? Is it a good conception for everyone? Probably not. Is it necessary? Probably so, to prevent another region of conflict in the world, which already has too many regions in conflict.

    Cheers & tara!

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Captain Obvious

    Wow! You are a nightbird like yours truly! Your comment aptly illustrates my statement :-)Thanks a lot! Take care and have a lovely Sunday.

    Cheers!

  1. says:

    Absolute Politician 1. I don't believe in standing in other people's shoes because they might have stinky feet.

    2. I don't believe in standing in other people's shoes because our shoe size may be different.

    3. I don't believe in standing in other people's shoes because they might only be wearing BATA when I'm wearing Gucci.

    4. I don't believe in standing in other people's shoes because my socks may not match their shoes.

    5. I don't believe in standing in other people's shoes because there's always someone waiting in line to polish mine and I have to make sure they do a good job. I have no time for other people's shoes.

    6. I don't believe in standing in other people's shoes because I believe in absolutes. I am always absolutely RIGHT while others are always absolutely WRONG.

  1. says:

    Anonymous In reality seeing through the eyes of the person concerned to truly understand their perspective is easier said than done !!!!

    If we are able to fully agreed to the above maxim, then this world will sees no war but permanent peace. It is said to err is human and for that many are living in selfish state of mind and always demanding and expecting others to give way.

    There are many issues in life that we have no answer for. And for that we know that we are mere spiritual beings in human body bidding our time for a permanent abode planned for us by our creator.

    An impefect life well lived is still better than living a life in search of perfection daily. So whether it is black or white that one sees, let us see through a compassionate heart that live simply....speak kindly....care deeply...and love.... generously.
    ~ahoo~

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Absolute Politician

    Wow! You have really made your point in a very unique way to make us see how the other side feels. Thanks for sharing. Take care and do keep in touch!

    Cheers

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear ahoo

    Many thanks for carefully weighing the various aspects of this topic with much wisdom, insight and foresight.

    Thank you for your nuggets of wisdom and advice which ooze from you because of the wealth of your experiences and faith.

    Indeed, we need the love of God shed abroad in our hearts to be able to love, accept and tolerate others.

    Take care and may the Lord always protect, bless and guide you and yours always.

    Shalom

Related Posts with Thumbnails
.