Dysfunctional, Desperate and Dying Within

Posted by Unknown On Wednesday, February 9, 2011 10 comments
It is not easy to be a youth filled with teenage angst. I should know. I lost my mom when I was 11 and my dad remarried in less than 100 days. As a teen, I was seething with rage, confusion and to exacerbate matters, I had skipped a year in school and was 15 when I took my MCE (my birthday is at the end of the year). Fortunately, I settled down after my 17th birthday and got involved with Christian youth groups and music. I know I would have turned out differently if I had not lost my mom at that tender age.

Having worked with teenagers for over 25 years in the education sector, I can safely conclude that it is more and more difficult to be a teen in modern society because of a few reasons including:

* changes in family structure where both parents are working in many families
* the existence of secondary care-givers such as maids, day-care centres etc
* the increase in net use by teens which exposes them to social networking media such as Facebook, Twitter, Friendster
* the ease in communication thanks to wide usage of mobile phones
* secularisation - the decline in the importance of religion which has impacted the value system negatively
* the change in the role and importance of socialization patterns whereby peer group and the electronic media is increasing in importance while that of the school and parents is gradually declining
* the decline in education standards which has seen the slow death of the thinking mind
* the impact of pop music and other genre
* etc etc

I used to teach about all this in my Sociology classes but never in my life have I seen these factors roll in such dynamic motion as in current trends.

It was with much sadness that I read this report in The Star about how a troubled teenager died after falling from the second floor of her school – just days after posting in her Facebook wall about wanting to take her own life. Such an occurrence is beginning to be an unhealthy trend amongst many teenagers.

In another report HERE, Universiti Malaya psychiatrist Prof Dr Mohamad Hussain Habil warned that there could be more suicides if mental health issues are not addressed promptly.

Last week, my former student (who is now a family lawyer in Singapore specializing in divorces) told me that on average there are hundreds of divorce cases being heard in the family court on Tuesdays and Thursdays and the figure is increasing steadily. He tries to help disgruntled spouses to reunite but admitted that it is not an easy task if the counterpart is intent on sealing the divorce.

Undeniably, there are many dysfunctional families today, thanks to the rat race, the reasons listed above, impact of Hollywood lifestyles and many other factors. The fact remains that there are many teenagers who need love, help and attention. Sadly, many working parents try to compensate for the lack of time spent with their children by showering them with the latest electronic gadgets, handphones, computers, generous pocket money (some in thousands!!!) and even luxury cars etc.

Nothing can compensate for the lack of love, acceptance, attention and companionship of their parents.

The situation is worsened if the family is dysfunctional.

In my years as a counsellor, I have seen the long term effect of divorces, family break-ups and infidelity on the lives of many teens who are unable to love, receive love or to sustain a relationship for fear of letting family history be repeated in their own lives.

Such scenarios lead to the increasing desperation of teens for attention as many could be dying within. They do give cries for help albeit subtly and some are victims to drugs, gambling and other pervasive influences.

When there is a cry for help, respond! If you see/hear or know of a cry for help in whatever situation, get help for that person if you cannot do anything.

In another report HERE:

Prof Dr Mohamad Hussain Habil, who heads the University Malaya's Department of Psychological Medicine, said there was a severe lack of mental health services in the country and Malaysians were yet to be receptive enough to respond to people with suicidal tendencies, “even to those who have expressed their intentions to end it all”.

“Society is still reluctant to respond to those in need of support. The Government and NGOs can do more to provide avenues for advocacy and more importantly, treatment,” he added.

It was reported that the suicide rate in the country has increased to between nine and 12 persons per 100,000 population, compared to eight in the 1980s.

I have had a close encounter with a potential suicide case.

It was in November 1989, two months after I had delivered my older boy. Alone in my classroom at about 3p.m. on a Thursday afternoon, I was clearing up my classroom when this boy walked in adroitly, as if on a mission. He was one of the toughest teens I have ever handled in my life.

As a child, he was with his father in the jungle when a group of bandits ambushed them, pulled them out and made them kneel on the ground. In seconds, they shot his dad in the head and left him screaming for help. Distraught, he was mentally and emotionally scarred and was shuttled from one boarding school to another.

"Miss, I am going to kill myself," he said.

"And may I ask how you propose to do that?" I asked.

"Simple. Don't you know one can die by injecting an air bubble into your blood stream?" he asked.

"But you don't have a syringe."

He took out a brand new plastic syringe.

"Oh! But you don't have a needle," I responded bravely.

Then he took out an unused needle.

*shudders*

To cut the long story short, I was like a hostage that afternoon. I wanted to run and scream for help but was wary of what might happen after that. Patiently, I listened to him rant on and on. I passed him tissues when he cried and cowered in fear when he screamed at me. I was in a fix as I had to pick up my baby from the babysitter who warned me never to be late and yet, there I was caught in such a tricky situation with him - a possible touch and go scenario.

After sweating it out for about an hour, I ran out of my classroom and dashed into the principal's office. He marched to my classroom and took over.

Looking back, I am glad I gave him my time, listening ear and compassion even though he had been a very difficult student. He got a B for my Sociology paper at the IGCSE level and is now a successful man.

Two weeks ago, I met up with my former principal who gave me a clearer idea of what actually happened to the boy. A member of his family had been writing to him and his sister, both in boarding school, feeding them with accusations that it was a family member who had commissioned the assassination. When he left school, he came up to the principal, gave him a hug and said, "Thank you sir, for spanking me."

Before he left in 1990, he also expressed his thanks and appreciation with a hug and a broad smile that revealed his braces. I still remember his smile so clearly. His sister is now happily married and I still keep in touch with her.

In 1994, I had a beautiful student who transferred from another continent who had been undergoing treatment for two attempted suicides after discovering her mom had committed suicide in her room. For a year, I would see her for counselling at breaktime once a week and I walked her through her grief and sadness, encouraged her to work hard and to move on. It was not an easy journey for both of us. When she left, we both cried and she gave me the most beautiful letter I have ever received. She went on to become very successful, got married and has a beautiful daughter now.

I could go on and on but suffice to say, I have had many encounters with troubled teens.

Why am I writing this post?

Simple.

There are many dysfunctional and desperate people out there - teens and adults alike, who are dying within because of many reasons. Sometimes, they may threaten to commit suicide as an attention-seeking move, hoping that others will respond and meet their need.

Unfortunately, we live in a very cruel world. They could have had the misfortune, like in the case of the 17 year old girl who posted remarks in her FB profile. Instead of getting understanding and help, her comments drew some taunts and dares from her online friends. Some commentators even asked her to go ahead with what she wanted to do.

And she died.

My heart bleeds for her parents and loved ones. Most of all, for her. I wonder if she would have been alive today if someone had just shown her a little bit of love and kindness.



Last December, a 22-year-old man took his own life after another failed relationship. He posted, also on Facebook, a 45-minute countdown to his suicide. He jumped from the 14th floor of an apartment block in Cheras. It was reported that the man became depressed after his girlfriend of four months broke up with him.

So if you are aware of someone who is in a similar situation, reach out....You could be the one to make a difference in his/her life...

Try a little bit of love and kindness...CLICK HERE for Glen Campbell's rendition of the song.

If you see your brother standing by the road
With a heavy load from the seeds he's sowed
And if you see your sister falling by the way
Just stop and stay you're going the wrong way

You got to try a little kindness
Yes show a little kindness
Just shine your light for everyone to see
And if you try a little kindness
Then you'll overlook the blindness
Of narrow-minded people on the narrow-minded streets

Don't walk around the down and out
Lend a helping hand instead of doubt
And the kindness that you show every day
Will help someone along their way

You got to try a little kindness
Yes show a little kindness
Just shine your light for everyone to see
And if you try a little kindness
Then you'll overlook the blindness
Of narrow-minded people on the narrow-minded streets

You got to try a little kindness
Yes show a little kindness
Just shine your light for everyone to see
And if you try a little kindness
Then you'll overlook the blindness
Of narrow-minded people on the narrow-minded streets

This post is dedicated to Mr. and Mrs. Churchman, LJ, AJ, R, L, BR, WL, MY, KY and the rest who know who they are - precious souls who have a special place in my heart.
God bless all of you - all my readers and friends. May you be a light shining in the dark for someone today and always.

10 comments to Dysfunctional, Desperate and Dying Within

  1. says:

    YBH MWS, I can relate to what you've said. I used to counsel a lot.

  1. says:

    mamasita Yes Paula..I am extremely devastated upon reading about the student who committed suicide..I wish I could have been there to dissuade her from jmping..
    It's so very sad.

    How we must take more notice of all our kids and those that we can be of help.
    But sometimes, we are so engrossed with our personal responsibilities that we too cannot shoulder theirs and just ignore what we can't handle.
    I always cry silently inside when I cannot extend any/much help to those whom I know are in need of great financial and emotional help.
    If only..

    You have a heart of gold and so much sincerity..a great pleasure to be one of your friends.

  1. says:

    Tiger Seems to me our young is even more vulnerable than we were in our teens those days.
    Perhaps it's the upbringing, but I suppose it's also the environment they face every day.
    Most important is to support them spiritually and mentally so that they won't be weak in their minds.

  1. says:

    PJN Thanks for the wonderful and touching write-up. I read your blog daily and I must admit I still love this blog. Wish I can write like you.

    I an thankful that my kids (one boy & one girl) grew up without such emotional problems. I was right there for them until they completed university. Maybe this is one reason that they are still close to me. They called me "my hero" when they were kids

    Enjoy your semi retirement. I enjoyed my for the past 10 years.

    Have a nice day and do walk the hills around EQ to take off the 10 pounds contributed by CNY dinners.

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear YBH

    Thanks so much for empathizing with me and resonating with this post. Take care and do keep in touch!

    Cheers

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Mamasita

    You have really touched me deeply with your sincere and warm response. You are such a wonderful mother and friend, one who has given so much of yourself and that is truly evident in your response.

    Indeed there are so many out there who are in need. All we have to do is to keep our eyes and ears open to be able to reach out when we can. A little gesture, a smile or an offer to help can d wonders to those who are hurting deep within.

    You are also a very deep, warm, honest and sincere person, Mamasita. It is a pleasure to be your friend too and to be inspired by you!

    Take care my dear. May the Al mighty guide and bless you and yours always.

    Hugs and salam

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Tiger

    Thanks for identifying the root of the problem - spiritual emptiness and emotional weakness. May parents and caregivers be inspired by your sharp and accurate observation.

    Take care and do keep in touch!

    Gong Xi Fa Cai!

    Cheers

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear PJN

    Many thanks for your kind and warm comments! I appreciate your support, readership and input. Your comment is certainly most encouraging because of late, I feel that age is catching up on me and that I am not writing as well as I want or used to. :-( Still, I enjoy blogging and its therapeutic effects :-).

    Our children are our treasures and a reflection of ourselves. Our time spent with them is an investment which pays lifelong dividends. My older boy went back to KL yesterday and I am feeling kind of blue haha...

    Ah - exercise...I must really shed those pounds haha! So you must be from Penang too!

    It has been a long time since I hiked up the Bukit Jambul Hill near Equatorial. I have a spinal injury and the route is too steep for me. You must be very fit to be able to hike there! Well done.

    Enjoy your retirement and God bless you and your family. Always a pleasure and joy to hear from you.

    Take care and have a great evening.

  1. says:

    UP41 Dear MWS, Happy New year and today is the birthday of the human race (7day of the new year) and sad to read about these suicide.
    Are these isolated or reflection a much deeper problems in the community?

    Observation from the ground : The Chinese media played up the success stories of few Chinese students or individuals But I see differently at the ground level about Chinese in Malaysia. Many social problems are brewing at the lower income group of Chinese community: many drop outs without finishing high schools & land up in low skill&low pay jobs, drugs abuse, , prostitution ,... I do not know the scale or the % but these problems are often white wash by the media.

    With kids raised by maids ,TV, computer/internet, day care and tuition centres, I scare we are producing a generation that are confused, angry, loss , could not stand on their own... While the minority of the minority shine and reported Big in the newspaper and eventually migrated whereas majority are rotting here without much attention given.

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear UP 41

    That is an awesome comment you wrote. Please blog about it. There is certainly much truth in what you have written - most saddening.

    I fear that the next generation of voters may not be politically savvy to make the right decision when they go to the ballot box. The emphasis seems to be hanging out at the right spots, carrying the latest hand phones or using the best laptops.

    The manipulation by the MSM as you mentioned is sth very real and under-reported. I really hope that you will write about it.

    Take care and thanks so much for this illuminating comment.

    Have a pleasant evening!

    Cheers

Related Posts with Thumbnails
.