Ho! Ho! Ho! Hobart!!!

Posted by Unknown On Thursday, April 16, 2009 14 comments
Only the brave hearted ones dared to take my classes in the past and even fewer dare to let me guide them in the privacy of my little kingdom. I am not an easy taskmaster and have extremely high expectations and standards of work. One of the FEW students who have asked me to coach them is Hobart Lim Zi Ying, formerly from Chung Ling High School, Penang who is now pursuing his A-levels at Disted College, Penang. Here he is behind one of the four Bosendorfers in Penang at the Trinity Guildhall & Rockschool Penang Awards and Concert 2008.


I must confess that I hate to take on the responsibility of coaching anyone in view of the appalling standard of education these days - which is the primary reason why I retired in the first place. Hobart's mom is indeed patient and persuasive because it took many phone calls since January 2008 and even more emails before I finally agreed to coach Hobart on a short-term basis in January 2009!!!

Unlike many other teens, Hobart is fairly cultured as he has acquired his Diploma in Music Performance for both the piano and cello and will be taking his fellowship exams for both instruments in June.

His resume is immaculate. He scored 12 A1's for the 2008 SPM, was one of the top achievers in Penang (see pic below), was also the conductor of the Chinese Orchestra in his school and is an eloquent and polished debater. But there was only one teeny weeny problem - he had never ever been taught by anyone like yours truly :-). My former students can testify that if anyone can survive my classes, indeed, they will definitely make it in life.


And so our journey began in January. Each lesson was probably an ordeal for poor Hobart as he had to rewrite his outlines and essays four or five times. I was amazed that a top student like him could accept my stringent standards and no holds barred type of criticism. He was probably in a state of shock for the first few sessions as every single line he wrote had red marks all over. Even when he emailed his works to me, a large part of it would be highlighted and he had to rewrite many parts almost endlessly.

Frankly, I thought he would quit my classes but he did not. He plodded on amazingly and yielded to my requests for corrections after corrections (aren't you glad you were never my student hehehe?). During some of our sessions, I tried to make him see that he had to get in touch with himself and to speak from his heart, without thinking in BM or Mandarin and without using any unnecessary ornaments in writing which to me, unless skillfully executed, would make an essay sound most unnatural and stiff.

I never fail to emphasize that they must write to express, not to impress and that some of the most important elements would be grace, vitality, crackling energy, simplicity, honesty, accuracy etc. including the 5C's of communication which include conciseness, concreteness, correctness, completeness and clarity of expression, not forgetting the KISS formula which is Keep it short and simple. For over twenty years, I have never ever in any of my classes given any model answer because I believe in original work and that each must unleash the writer within.

Without a doubt Hobart must have felt quite crushed during many moments although I always tried to inspire him and to shower him with positive comments either in class, via emails or google chats. :-) I am both astounded and thankful that he persevered to be coached by this eccentric old lady. Somehow, our class last week must have struck a chord in his heart because this evening, he gave me a piece of work that did not have to be rewritten at all! Needless to say, yours truly had been chasing him for the past few days for this piece of work and we both knew that he found writing to be quite tedious which was why I instructed him to write an essay using the analogy technique to compare life with essay writing!

He attended his JPA scholarship interview two weeks ago and if he is successful, we will be parting ways but he will have a place in my heart because it is rare that I get students like him any more. The last time I had a group of brilliant students was in 2004 with people like Nisha, Wei Lyn, Nicholas Aw, Seleen (all doing their 4th year in medicine), Vanmala (Uni of Toronto), Xinch (HELP), Huey Sian (Curtin Uni), Chris Chua (currently in Uni of Sydney and recently interned with Microsoft in Seattle) etc. Can you imagine? Since 2004, I have NOT had any brilliant student so Hobart is like a breath of fresh air to me :-) although I am sure he felt quite suffocated with my high expectations. Whatever the case, I am glad our paths crossed and I hope that somehow, I did help him to get in touch with himself and to write straight from his heart like he did in the following essay. Many of the ideas he discussed were pointers that I shared with him to teach and to inspire him to be more than what he has achieved thus far.

To challenge him to give his best, I wrote this post COOKIES AND CREAM on April 6th and told him that he had to do better than I did :-)...and in his own way, he has done brilliantly, despite the many challenges I threw in his path. Ho! Ho! Ho! Hobart! I am very proud of you!

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, Hobart Lim....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THE ANALOGY TECHNIQUE IN WRITING BY HOBART LIM

Life can be described in many ways. Forest Gump called it a box of chocolates while William Shakespeare likened it to a stage. To me, life is similar to the process of writing an essay, not so much because of any deep, philosophical reasons but more so because of my current predicament with essay writing.

The preliminary stage of essay planning is akin to the act of charting one’s life. To write an excellent essay or live a fulfilling life, one needs to be organized and to have a clear direction. Above all, one needs to take pride both in one’s works and life. Only by believing in and loving what one does can one produce a masterpiece or lead the life one has dreamed of.

Like life, one will encounter ups and downs in the course of writing an essay. There will be times when one suffers from writers’ block and subsequently loses faith, just as how there will be frustrations and disappointments in life. On the other hand, writers do enjoy periods of heightened creativity which enable them to churn out high quality passages at a fast pace, similar to how we sometimes experience periods of good fortune in life where things seem to always happen without fault.

Unfortunately, unlike the task of essay writing which can be put off at any time, there is no ‘pause button’ in life. Indeed, time and tide wait for no man. As much as we would like to escape from life even just for a while, it is impossible to stop the continual clockwork motion of life. Similarly, as much as we yearn to change our life to how we want it with just a snap of a finger, it is not as easy as merely erasing the parts we dislike in an essay.

Additionally, while essay writing takes place at most over a few hours, life is far longer. Also, the effect of an essay is rather limited compared to the how our lives affect not only us but also the many different people with whom we interact. Finally, the greatest difference has to be the fact that while a bad essay rarely makes an imprint on anyone, a bad deed is sure to be remembered, even if the person has turned over a new leaf.

Life and essay writing, although as different as heaven and earth when placed side by side, do surprisingly yield many similarities. Perhaps this essay is a testimony of how I should open my eyes to the limitless ways in which one can view the world. Maybe then I can lead the life I want and write the essay that showcases my full potential.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well done, Hobart Lim. I am truly VERY proud of you!!!

P.S. Everyday, I try to improve in my writing and also in other areas of my life. I do not claim to be an expert in any area but would always want to share my experiences with others :-). Life is a long but exciting journey of learning, growing and changing for us to be better than what we were yesterday.


14 comments to Ho! Ho! Ho! Hobart!!!

  1. says:

    Hobart Lim I am both surprised and deeply touched. I have to admit, the first few weeks of your lesson was indeed an ordeal to say the least. I found myself beaten up week by week. But slowly, I realised that every criticism was meant to make me stronger and better. Looking back now, I can say with a resounding yes that I have improved significantly. But being under her tutelage has made me highly critical of myself and that is why I am honestly surprised to see my essay gracing your blog (an honour indeed!) I suppose perhaps this still shows that I have yet to be fully confident of myself. I used to think I was good, but being under you has opened my eyes to where I truly stand. Not that this drop in confidence is a bad thing. After all, confidence without awareness of reality is a dangerous thing.

    I sincerely hope that I'll be able to continue to grow under your guidance. I know my time in Penang might be coming to an end if I secure the JPA scholarship, but I'm sure with today's technology, we can still keep in touch.

  1. says:

    Unknown *sniff* Tissue please, Hobart *sniff* ...Thank you for your candid and heartfelt comment which speak volumes of your commendable level of maturity that goes far beyond your years.

    All the way, I have constantly reminded you that I have not given up on you and never will because there is so much potential in you.

    If you do go, it will be heartbreak for me because I may never again get another student like you *sniff*.

    Thanks, Hobart, for tolerating this old lady and for allowing me to infuse (hopefully not confuse!) your young mind with the many secrets to writing ;) and I am sure with this take-off, you will be making headlines someday in your area of specialization.

    Please do not lose touch (I will most certainly FB you if you do go away) and don't forget the homework either LOL!!!

    See you dude!

    Cheers!

  1. says:

    Starmandala Awwwww.... that's such a sweet account, thanks for sharing this priecless glimpse of your secret life as a teacher nonpareil!

    Very well done, Hobart. Here's wishing you boundless joy in your continuing success story!

  1. says:

    Unknown Wow, Antares...I am floating on with your generous comment of teacher nonpareil..Thanks my dear..:-)

    And thanks too for wishing Hobart, a fine young man indeed.

    Take care dear Antares and I will talk to you real soon.

    Hugs

  1. says:

    jonno1951 Paula

    Isn't it true that in everyone's life, a ray of sunshine peaks through? It is the dark clouds that surround us that make this ray all the more appreciated.

    To paraphrase a movie that I love, "Mr Holland's Opus", your students will one day say this at a reunion of your past students to honour you:

    "Paula Khoo had a profound influence on my life, on a lot of lives that I know. And yet I get the feeling that she considers a great part of her own life misspent. Rumor had it she was always working on this symphony of hers. And this was going to make her famous, rich, probably both. But Paula Khoo isn't rich and she isn't famous, at least not outside of our little town of Penang.

    So it might be easy for her to think herself a failure. And she would be wrong, because I think that she's achieved a success far beyond riches and fame.

    Look around you. There is not a life in this room that you have not touched, and each one of us is a better person because of you.

    We are your symphony, Paula. We are the melodies and the notes of your opus. And we are the music of your life."

    To you, I dedicate the above, my second favorite niece (my only brother's daughter and my only "direct" niece" would kill me if I stated otherwise, :P)

    It is to your credit that you attract and continue to attract such gifted students just like the light attracts the moth. Your dedication to mold these students young mind is commendable. I am proud that you are a Khoo.

    To young Hobart, you have been blessed to have a teacher like Paula. You have such a great future ahead of you having been so enlightened at such a young age. Good luck.

    Hugs
    Uncle John

  1. says:

    Walt Concratulations to you both, I can see you are very proud of this exceptional young man.

    "One looks back with appreciation to the brilliant teachers, but with gratitude to those who touched our human feelings. The curriculum is so much necessary raw material, but warmth is the vital element for the growing plant and for the soul of the child". ~Carl Jung


    One is never too old to teach.
    It has been 40 years or more, but I still remember this, The Changing Of The Guard.

  1. says:

    Unknown Uncle John,

    WoW! *sniffing and blowing my nose* Thanks so much for that comment and I am simply speechless..

    I truly appreciate the relevance of Mr. Opus' comment and hope that someday, at an official reunion or at my funeral :-), the kids will say something like that. They do tell me that when we meet up and those moments are the best - the knowledge that I had a chance to challenge their minds and that these students have moved on and hit wonderful milestones in their respective lives.

    That is the treasure I keep within my heart - the memories of the interaction and communion of the mind and spirit...

    Indeed, Hobart has a fantastic future ahead and I know God will bless him richly as always...

    Thanks Uncle John! You are my no 2 favorite uncle too...No. 1 fav uncle is in Penang :-)..

    Take care and have a great weekend.

    hugs and much love,
    Paula

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Walt,

    Thanks a lot for sharing my joy. Truly, I am very proud of Hobart and only he and I know the struggle that he went through for the past three months to get to where he is in that essay.

    As always, thanks for sharing the quotation and the link.

    Take care and have a lovely weekend.

    cheers

  1. says:

    jonno1951 Walt

    I have not met you but I feel that you and I both are of similar kindred spirits. We both like similar music and bands and we are bonded by this "glue" called Paula Khoo. :-)

    I have had the pleasure of meeting her and her lovely family. I hope that one day we shall both meet. I do travel to the USA but have only transit through Texas (I assume that's where you are from). I was once in Fort Worth during my military days on a a major project but have not had the pleasure to visit again, other than in transit at the airport 2 years ago. If you ever have the chance to visit Sydney, Australia (I know you have a Sydney there too, LOL), it would be my pleasure to be your host. Get my contacts from Paula

    Paula

    Ditto. Have a great afternoon with Hoy. BTW, I have seen Mr. Holland's Opus at least 10 times and have never got bored with it. Brings back many memories of my mentors who have touched my life. I suggest that you get a copy of it on DVD. If you can't find one, let me know and I will get one for you.

    Have a fantastic weekend, both of you. We had a long weekend (4 days due to Easter) last week so this weekend will go past much faster.

  1. says:

    Unknown Hi Uncle John,

    :-) Ok...I will let you know if I cannot find a copy of the dvd. Thanks so much. had a lovely time up at the hill and will be posting it later.

    Take care and have a lovely weekend.

    hugs

  1. says:

    Unknown Hi Paula,

    How could I thank you for unplugging Hobart's inner confidence and igniting his spark for writing? Your compliments have liven up his days and nights!

    I must admit that I was worried and concerned that your comments might drown Hobart's confidence totally and shatter him. But he persist!

    I could not contain my emotion whenever I read this blog on Hobart.

    Thank you once again and May God bless you always, Paula.


    Hobart's mother

  1. says:

    Unknown My dear Elaine,

    You and Hobart are most welcome. It is a pleasure to teach Hobart :-) even though at times, there could be challenges for both of us.

    Right from the beginning, I told you that he would probably see a breakthrough in three months and he took three months and 16 days :-).

    I do not believe in leading a student to a state of denial and will never mince my words in my comments or to sugar coat them. Yet, I am well aware that each one of us has fragile emotions and as such, I have tried to strike a healthy balance between praising him and advising him to change, without affecting his feelings.

    Hobart, as I have always said to you, is a fine young man and his personality and character is rare and difficult to find in this day and age. Most definitely, you and your husband take the credit for this because of the wonderful parenting and positive family environment that allow him to be and to do what he desires - only because he has been taught the meaning and importance of responsibility.

    I will miss him dreadfully when he leaves (although I am sure he will be deeply relieved haha and will find it difficult to mask his feelings) because I do not know when I can ever find one with a great mind, kind heart, persevering spirit like Hobart.

    Thanks so much for giving me the opportunity to teach Hobart and thanks to Hobart for suffering my eccentricities :-).

    May God bless you, Hobart and your wonderful family everyday of your lives.

    Hugs,
    Paula

  1. says:

    Anonymous I love Hobart!

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Anon # 13

    :-) I will pass him your message. Take care and God bless you.

    Cheers

Related Posts with Thumbnails
.