LOOKING THROUGH THE EYES OF THE DARK KNIGHT

Posted by Unknown On Sunday, April 5, 2009 4 comments
As a little girl growing up in the 60's, my main pursuit was devouring books, classics and also comics including Batman, Superman, Spiderman, Green Lantern, X-Men, Fantastic Four, Mighty Thor, Archie comics etc. I must confess that I have a sizeable collection of comic book hero figurines that I bought for my son but sometimes, I wonder if I bought them for myself :-) to remind me of the best moments of childhood. It saddens me to see how the current generation are not aware of the wonderful heritage of comics and books as many choose to live in the world of Play Station, Nintendo games, online games or other frivolous pursuits. As a teenager, my limited pocket money was spent on vinyl discs and renting books. I do lament that to feed my insatiable need to read, I had to sell my comics and other books to the second-hand bookstore owner along Macalister Road.

When gleaning news of current events in the country, my heart is filled with dread, apprehension and much uncertainty. I can either live in blissful ignorance or to cope with my reaction by replacing those negative vibes with hope. Sometimes, I go on 'strike' by not reading the news and not surfing my usual haunts but can only abstain for a few hours. The current scenario reminds me of the people of Gotham...as such, I have rewritten my review of "The Dark Knight" which I posted last year to reflect on its relevance to the prevailing trends. Please leave a comment if you wish because I would love to hear your view...Thanks and have a nice day!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Based on the DC Comics character Batman, "The Dark Knight" is a 2008 American superhero film co-written by Christian Nolan, Jonathan Nolan and David Goyer and directed by Christopher Nolan.

Many may not be aware of the themes and moral implications of this movie. To me, it has a meaty screenplay and yet one that is dark, disturbing, complex, amazingly nihilistic, so richly layered that I cannot imagine how a comic that became gothic transformed into a psychotic movie that is a grim portrait of our own paranoia, sense of hopelessness and selfishness. The best part is Nolan does it so subtly that it simply seers into the core of our being and consciousness and will go down in history as THE BEST SUPERHERO MOVIE OF ALL TIME!!!

As a sequel to "Batman Begins" (2005), the movie is an absolutely spectacular stunner with feverish action, dazzling effects and provocative themes because unlike all other comic-book movies, this one razor cuts through a deeper dimension of the human psyche to paint a dual picture of our human condition.

Nolan has given all of us a virtual dissertation on the nature of good and evil, as well as the thin line that sometimes separates them. Nolan makes us think about the choices that we have to make and the consequent depravity of the human condition when we succumb to obsessions.

This is seen so clearly in the moral ambiguities of the main characters namely Bruce Wayne (Christian Bale), the Joker (Heath Ledger), Harvey Dent (Aaron Eckhart), Rachel Dawes (Maggie Gyllenhaal). It sets itself apart from other movies because while exuding a sense of dread and suspense, it tugs at our nerves, moves our conscience in such a way that it both delights and disturbs us.

Believe me, "The Dark Knight" is a film steeped in tragedy, sacrifice, and heroism, and the eternal struggle at its heart will resonate through the ages. Shining in these areas, "The Dark Knight" is an artistic achievement in its own league that none can compare and if you think far and deep enough, it explores issues that are particularly relevant in today's society, when crime is up and terrorism is a constant fear. This is not just a movie about a superhero fighting a maniacal bad guy; it's about our nation's need for a hero in troubling times, as well as our frequent inability to find one who's trustworthy and incorruptible. At this point, does it not sound too close to home in the light of the events that are happening in our own country? Don't we need a hero? Some of us could be feeling very down, in the dark abyss of despair like the Gothamites and we may have already resigned ourselves to a horrible downhill journey and we could feel that whatever effort made by the unsung heroes have gone to the dumps. Honestly, I do feel like this sometimes but I push such negative thoughts aside and believe that somehow, things have to get worse before it gets better...but the question is how long are we to wonder in the desert of despair and hopelessness while witnessing how the evil plans in the plot are being dramatized by seasoned actors?

Being a dreamer, I derive much delight in imagining different possibilities such what would happen if a person decided to strap on a super-suit and save us all!!! Movies offer this opportunity for us to slip into a world of fantasy as we lose ourselves to a make-believe world where anything can happen when good triumps over evil but alas, if only life can be as simple as this.

In this vein of thought, you can imagine the ecstasy I felt when the hero and his alter-ego of "The Dark Knight" is thrust into a world where Wayne's frivolity is as despised as Batman's vigilantism. More important than this, however, is the idea that Batman is not just a guy in a suit, but a symbol and there are people in the film – most notably The Joker – who want to destroy that symbol. Don't I wish there is a 'Batman' where I live to .........*sigh*

While Batman's identity remains secret and his motives unknown to Gothamites, he represents hope in a city that has little to spare and embodies a pursuit of justice – and further, a code of behavior – that quite literally threatens these criminals' way of life. By throwing Gotham into chaos and testing the limits to which Batman holds himself, The Joker is not merely plying death and destruction but willfully destroying the philosophical foundations of organized society. Somehow, this scenario seems awfully familiar except we have no dark knight or do we?

The closest such examination another comic book-oriented film has ever attempted was the emotional through line of the Spider-Man films. Peter Parker's struggle was almost exclusively personal, whereas Wayne not only has to find a way to maintain his moral compass, but consider what the repercussions of his heroism are to both the public and the criminals themselves.

With endless surprises you never really know where the end is going or what evil and mischief the villains will create next. Then, it is all over. The sure sign of a blockbuster? After all two and a half hours of the emotional angst and exhaustion of the Dark Knight, we are left revved up with energy and adrenaline and are already hoping for the next Batman film. Sans Ledger, sadly, but you will notice, we never have to see the Joker die so perhaps... just maybe...he lives on.

As we know, Heath Ledger won a posthumous Academy Award for his role. Christian Bale also gives a brilliant performance as the character of Bruce Wayne/Batman has layers of subtlety to it. Bale's portrayal of the superhero is so grounded in reality that you almost take it for granted, especially if you are being distracted by the sinister pyrotechnics of his nemesis.

To me, I can review "The Dark Knight"in four words: BEST SUPERHERO MOVIE EVER!!.The film ends on a surprising and intriguing note - one that I never expected, but which paves the way for a third installment that promises to be just as deep, ambitious, and penetrating as this one. While I hope for a sequel, yet I hope there is none for it would not do justice to "The Dark Knight'. Tell me, how can you beat perfection? And "The Dark Knight' certainly reeks perfection all the way from start to finish! Have you watched it yet? I have watched it five times already :-). If you have not, don't miss it! In the mean time, I will have to comfort myself with the hope that one dark knight can save us all...

4 comments to LOOKING THROUGH THE EYES OF THE DARK KNIGHT

  1. says:

    Steve Whoa! I found your blog by searching "The Dark Knight" and came up with a similar review of the movie. Were you watching Batman Begins on TNT too?! Excellent review in detail of the The Dark Knight and the state of our country. I came up with similar feelings, albeit with fewer and less colorful words!

  1. says:

    Unknown Hi Steve

    I am a die hard Batman fan and have watched many of the movies many times and even visited the original set in Fox Studios haha!

    Thanks of your comment. And it is nice to know that we share similar views albeit we live in different countries.

    Take care and all the best to you. Do come again.

    Have a nice day. :-)

  1. says:

    Treasures By Brenda Excellent review; I enjoyed the Dark Knight much more at home and seemed to get more out of it. I created a page, The Little Family's Dark Knight Blu-ray Review. It is not as 'deep' as yours but does give the perspective from three different types of viewers.

    Brenda

  1. says:

    Unknown Hello Brenda,

    Thanks so much for popping by and for your kind comments.

    I will pop by your blog and read your review too.

    Lovely to meet you and to exchange ideas.

    Take care and God bless you.

    cheers

Related Posts with Thumbnails
.