MY SONS, PLEASE LOOK FOR GREENER PASTURES..

Posted by Unknown On Monday, April 13, 2009 6 comments
Reading news portals used to make my adrenalin flow but these days, it turns my blood cold until my heart and mind have an aching numbness that no medication, tea or stimulant can heal.

A few minutes ago, I casually entered Malaysiakini and was pleasantly surprised to see this letter And my father said, "Son, don't come home" written by Ice Cream Seller where he shared about the values and lessons his late father had imparted to him, only to realize its truth 30 years later. In a nutshell, his father told him not to return to his motherland but he did otherwise and only left for Australia recently. I was deeply moved by his post because my parents told me otherwise and I cannot help but imagine what a different world it would have been had I been brave enough to follow my heart...

From as young as a five year-old, after developing a 'crush' on my kindergarten mate, my secondary goal in life was to leave the country, study abroad and never to return. Since I made this crystal clear to my dad, he NEVER allowed me to make that dream come true and even when I had job offers in KL, he would not let me go. I don't blame him - I was his one and only child. However, I sing a different tune to my boys, somewhat like the one sung by Ice Cream Seller's dad. Why?

Let's imagine for a moment that we are in a beautiful garden now. What can we see? Normally, a sight to behold would be butterflies flitting around looking for the brightest flowers because they feed primarily on nectar from flowers. Of course, some get nourishment from pollen, tree sap, rotting fruit, dung, and dissolved minerals in wet sand or dirt. Point is, they look for the best environment to live. Who wouldn’t?

Just as butterflies look for the brightest flowers, it is logical and natural that young graduates would look for the best environment to work and to live. If a highly educated and experienced professional had to make a choice between returning to his/her motherland to serve there and working in a foreign country, what factors would he/she consider?

Logically, who would want to return to work in a country where prejudiced treatment exists but subtly and sometimes overtly masked by cosmetically termed government policies to bring about supposed equality?

Who would want to return and work in a country where some supposed “HIGHER” group cannot recognize fellow citizens as humans and regard them as a certain member of the animal kingdom and order them to go back to a particular country in the far east?

Who would want to return and live in a country where plundering is an official hobby of a certain elitist group committing their acts even in broad daylight as if it is their right to do so and those who object or question will be sent to a certain confined area and enjoy curry rice for a period of time without rhyme or reason?

Who would want to return to a country where leaders live in denial and proclaim they practise meritocracy when in fact they impose racial quotas in education and then quietly send their own children overseas for their secondary and tertiary education?

Who would want to live in a ‘diseased’ economy where the weak are spoon-fed with all kinds of handouts and the strong get kicked in the butt, discriminated against, blamed for all kinds of problems including the malaise of the weak? They can actually laugh at certain nations for their apartheid policies when such policies exist in their own.

Even if the government really spends US$553.3mil over five years to boost research, attract foreign investment and build new facilities, who would come back if they know that the leaders are are incompetent as buffoons who call the shots in the game and change the rules whenever they feel like it?

Would you come back and willingly be ruled by leaders who fight over the minutest problem and cover up colossal problems…or even leaders who can actually work part-time in Hollywood or Bollywood with all the scandals they can fictionalise to discredit potential threats to the status quo?

Would you want to come back to a country whose currency is moving gravitationally to hit rock bottom goodness knows when?

Would you come back considering the country’s medical facilities, quality of life, crime rate, tax rate, deplorable public transport system, lack of equal opportunities in so many areas? I hope that one day, my boys will read this post of mine when they are free and realize the reason why I keep telling them to work hard and fly off to any where land...It matters not to me whether they are by my side. It matters more to me that they live and thrive in an environment that does not have so much incredulous injustice and half-past six scenarios.

Think. Can you blame the many graduates and experts for being like butterflies flying around for the most beautiful and most colourful flowers to suck nectar?

My dear sons and other young people, work hard and look for greener pastures. I am also looking but alas, age is against me. Just this morning, I was reviewing procedures and news for immigration to another country and my heart sank because I know the many obstacles before me. It seems impossible and I lament the fact that I had foolishly thought that things would get better....and now, it's too late for me to leave...not unless the heavens opened up and showered dollar notes into my humble home to give me enough to leave. Alas, I have little to show in the bank but a lot to show in terms of the number of candles on my birthday cake. Most of my friends have already left...another family is about to leave soon and these people are all younger than me...So what can I do now?

Pray. That's all that I can do now. I just have to make the best of what I have and hope that my descendants will be in greener pastures than yours truly....

So dear Ice Cream Seller ...I am happy for you and I am sure your parents, wherever they may be, are delighted that you finally took up their advice....It is never too late to learn.

6 comments to MY SONS, PLEASE LOOK FOR GREENER PASTURES..

  1. says:

    Mei San Poignant post.
    I believe each country will have its own share of problems, whether it's here in Malaysia or the USA or the UK etc.
    And I also believe that as long as we work hard enough and live our lives properly, all our dreams will come to us.
    I remember you once wrote this very inspirational post,
    "No matter what, I love my country despite whatever 'even though' statements. Whatever I did on that night, I did because I wanted to make my country a better place and not to stir anti-establishment feelings."
    I hope the fire is still very much in you :)

  1. says:

    Unknown Thanks my dear Mei San - for popping by and also for your mature perspective of the scenario.

    What you shared is true, my dear but there are other things such as education standards and equal opportunities...

    *sigh*

    I am so touched that you still remember what I wrote even though it was so many months ago..

    At the rate things are going, the fire is now a flickering flame..*sigh*

    Whatever it is, I still love my country and I know other countries also have their fair share of problems too...

    I am really happy to see you in my blog and to see you commenting...Will be emailing you soon and hope that everything is going well for you, dear Mei San.

    Take care and God bless you.

    hugs

  1. says:

    Anonymous Nowadays, Malaysians are big lovers, love this, love that. Amazing! Whoever wants and can leave, leavelah. Whoever can't cabut or don't want to, stays and be a good citizen, absolutely no evilful conducts such as simple convenient traffic offence bribe.

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Anon

    I agree! I am staying and all of us should make this nation a better place by being good citizens. Take care and God bless you.

    Shalom

  1. says:

    K.Ris I am one of those who took my dad's "Son, don't come home" advice. I always wanted to get my dad's reassurance that I have made the right decision to settle down in Australia. I guess deep down in my heart I still love Malaysia. It is my birth place and has been living there for 18 years before I left for overseas studies in the late ‘90s.

    Masterwordsmith, when I read your piece on "My sons, please look for greener pastures.." and Ice Cream Seller's "And my father said, "Son, don't come home"", it reaffirms that I have made the right decision for myself, my family and my future generations.
    May God guide Malaysia and her leaders to a better future. Shalom.

  1. says:

    WC Well, it really is awkward for me to leave my country as my grandparents always emphasize to me not to forget my own homeland. Invest oneself in another country would be a golden opportunity in becoming the creme de la creme in the world. However, there isn't any place better than home.

    *May your wish come true o(^.^)o

Related Posts with Thumbnails
.