INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT MANURE

Posted by Unknown On Tuesday, September 22, 2009 6 comments
Manure ... An interesting fact(?)

Manure: In the 16th and 17th centuries, everything had to be transported by ship and it was also before commercial fertilizer's invention, so large shipments of manure were common.

It was shipped dry, because in dry form it weighed a lot less than when wet, but once water (at sea) hit it, it not only became heavier, but the process of fermentation began again, of which a by product is methane gas . As the stuff was stored below decks in bundles you can see what could (and did) happen.
Methane began to build up below decks and the first time someone came below at night with a lantern, BOOOOM!

Several ships were destroyed in this manner before it was determined just what was happening

After that, the bundles of manure were always stamped with the term 'Ship High In Transit ' on them, which meant for the sailors to stow it high enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the hold would not touch this volatile cargo and start the production of methane.

Thus evolved the term ' S.H.I.T ' , (Ship High In Transit) which has come down through the centuries and is in use to this very day.

You probably did not know the true history of this word.

Neither did I.

I had always thought it was a golf term.

*Thanks to Dr. Saravanan who sent me this post in an email.

6 comments to INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT MANURE

  1. says:

    jonno1951 Paula

    And to think that was a necessary part of the vocabulary when playing Golf. You have shattered me.

    ROFL

    John

  1. says:

    Unknown I'm glad that this was the first blog entry of yours that I had the pleasure of reading. Anyone who can explain to me where an expletive came from... Is definitely someone I need to follow.

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Uncle John

    I think Auntie Noelene will be very happy with this post haha...cos now you will need a new expletive when playing golf LOL!!!

    Take care and happy golfing without ships in transition LOL.

    cheers

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Paul,

    Thanks for visiting my blog and for your witty comment :-). I am humbled by your decision to follow me and I am glad to meet you this way for you have a great blog and it seems that we have many things in common too! Thanks for the follow. Take care and do keep in touch.

    Cheers,
    Paula

  1. says:

    jonno1951 Paula

    She usually use the word "sugar" in lieu but every now and then she will let it slip and use that word. Must be old age creeping in. HAHAHA

    Cheers
    John

  1. says:

    Unknown Haha Uncle JOhn

    I use the word "shoot' instead of Ship High In Transit but :-) with age creeping in, there are more and more slips nowadays.

    Once, I had a class discussion as to why people love the cuss and the pleasures they derive from the use of expletives :-). Excellent discussion.

    Have a good day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
.