THE BIG RIVER

Posted by Unknown On Saturday, October 3, 2009 2 comments
It is my pleasure to feature yet another piece by a very dear blog reader who hails from UK. This is the third time I am featuring Tony's writing and I am sure you will enjoy it as much as I do.

When Tony first told me about Jimmy Nail, the first thing that struck me was his name. I found it intriguing and thought his music would be even more so and I was utterly delighted with Tony's recommendation and invited him to share this with us.
Thanks Tony for the great effort and the willingness to share.

If any of you would like to share your writings, please get in touch with me via this web page. In the mean time, enjoy this piece and leave a comment if you wish. Thanks and have a lovely weekend!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE BIG RIVER by T.B.


Recently I've been listening to music – no big deal I hear you say –and you'd be correct but when I say I,ve been listening to music I mean I have spent almost all of my free time sat,or lying down on my favourite settee,wearing my Hitachi headset –circa 1985- engrossed in the tracks that were popular in my teens and twenties.

Bob Dylan,Fleetwood Mac,Genesis,Janis Joplin,The Eagles,Jethro Tull,The Stones,The Beatles and Jimmy Nail I have them all and many, many others.

Now I know what your thinking “Who the hell's Jimmy Nail,never heard of him”.Well I,m not surprised at this. He was a popular singer/songwriter and actor during the eighties in the UK but his fame was confined to the sceptered isle.

Jimmy is a big,lanky,ungainly lump of a man blessed with a face only a mother could love.He had a reputation for being a bit of a handful, a hard drinking,hard playing man who loved nothing more than to round off a drinking binge with a fight – and to look at his face he came a poor second to most of his opponents.But Jimmy had/has two redeeming features – one,he has a hell of a voice and,two, he,s a Geordie and for those that don’t know – a Geordie is someone who was born in Newcastle-upon-Tyne –my city,my home town and that makes him special and his song Big River is a very special song for me.

I can remember the day I first heard this one particular track by Jimmy.I was sat in the departure lounge at Newcastle airport waiting for a plane that would carry me away from my home town, to a new job,a new beginning in a foreign land.As the track played the words that echoed around the lounge held a relevant reminder for me for they told of the decline of industry in my part of the UK –the reason I was leaving my home, leaving my young wife and and young daughter.

As I sat in that lonely airport lounge reflecting on what had been, and dreaming of what was to come,I noticed that I was not the only one with damp eyes –there were many others who shared my fate-many others who had heard Jimmy's evocative words.

Now,whenever I hear this track I am instantly transported back to a time tinged with the disappointments of the past and trepidation of what the future may hold..

To understand the sentiment and emotions involved in the song you need to know a little of the history of the Big River – The River Tyne.

There has been shipbuilding on the Tyne for hundreds of years -a story is told by the old men of the river,how true it is I don't know,that the order for the "Ark" was first placed with a Tyneside shipyard but when it became apparent that the vessel was only required to complete one single voyage the yard withdrew from the contract citing a possible loss of reputation if it built a ship of such low specifications...the order eventually went to Noah and Sons – the first recorded ship being built was in 1294 –first were wooden craft and then in the 19th century iron was used.Whole communities were sited around the shipyards –close knit communities who depended almost solely on the yard to provide their living and the yards were dependent on the communities for the pool of highly skilled labour, welders, platers, burners, electricians, draughtsmen and designers, that lived there.Each depended on the other to function – take one away from the other and they both perished – there was a bond between the yard and the community a very close, tight, bond that ensured a loyalty to each other that knew no boundaries.

During the 1960's there was a steep decline in shipbuilding in the UK –and the Tyne suffered greatly from the downturn and many yards closed their gates for the last time –the last to go,in the mid eighties, was the Neptune yard.Communities were split –the menfolk forced to leave their beloved Tyne and search for work. This quest for work took Geordie to the ends of the world for ships and the sea course through his veins and wherever you go you,ll always find a Geordie either building ships or down in the engine room nursing and caring for his charges.

Take a few minutes to listen to Jimmy's song,and marvel at the unique qualities of his voice, it’s a requiem hymn celebrating the death of not only an industry but the communities that serviced, nurtured, and put their faith and hopes into that industry. It also hints at what might be for the river itself for nothing, not politicians, not human hand, can control or influence the spirit of the river Tyne.

Enjoy this youtube clip of his music and singing.

2 comments to THE BIG RIVER

  1. says:

    Teoh Dear Masterwordsmith,

    I watched the You Tube clip several times.

    I did not hear a song; I only heard Jimmy Nail narrating a story about the glorious past and the decline of his hometown, Newcastle-upon-Tyne.

    This is a good article written by T.B. It is very touching to know someone like T.B. who is proud to call a place his home. For me who has left my hometown many times to pursue my future and dreams, I am always proud to call Sungai Petani, a place very close to my heart, my home too.

    Regards,
    BC Teoh

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear BC Teoh,

    Thanks so much for reading the post. I put up another link here because I forgot to activate the link that leads to the music clip. My apologies because I forgot.

    Tony is an excellent writer who writes straight from his heart with so much feeling and sincerity.

    Thanks so much for your comment and for sharing your experiences. I hope you will find Jimmy Nail's music an engaging one.

    Take care and have a great weekend.

    Best wishes,
    mws

Related Posts with Thumbnails
.