REFLECTIONS AND MORE REFLECTIONS

Posted by Unknown On Saturday, November 28, 2009 12 comments
Throughout my life, I have made friends and enemies. Who hasn't? In school, while appearing quiet and subdued in class, I was vociferous and boisterous with my friends. It is normal for us to behave differently in a variety of situations. Having said that,that I have a very sharp tongue and unknowingly hurt some students in the past. With the passing years, I learnt much patience,tolerance and the importance of sensitivity to the feelings of others with the occasional hiccups and bungles in interpersonal relationships - after all, I am human.



Sometimes in life, when we meet those who have hurt or disappointed us, it may not be that easy to forgive and even if we do, it may not be easy to forget. Frankly, I do not bear grudges at all, especially while serving as a teacher and lecturer, or even in my social circles. Some students could have been absolutely rude, naughty, rebellious, lazy etc. but once I pointed out their faults, they would be reminded that I was correcting the fault and not attacking the person and that those run-ins would have no bearing on the way I assessed their assignments or exam scripts. The usual stunned response would follow but in time, these students would know that I meant every single word that I said.

When I was teaching in an international school, a lovely Gujerati girl joined my Year 9 Sociology class. My Sociology classes were very energetic, challenging and required lots of reading, assignments, presentations and discussions on current sociological classes - only the tough would dare to join my Sociology/Economics classes (in fact, this pattern persisted when I was lecturing in another college).

Somehow, the vibrant tempo of my lessons scared her off to the extent that she did not come to school for one week!! At that time, I was the Head of Pastoral Care for the Upper School (Year 10,11) and my colleague (Head of Pastoral Care, Lower School) told me the news. Naturally, I was flabbergasted. How on earth could I have terrified her to the extent that she was willing to face disciplinary action for skipping school? Immediately, I called her home, spoke to her parents and later on, exchanged a few words with her. She came back the next day. Subsequently, her father came to see me during Parent-Teacher Conference and we discussed the situation most amicably.

That was in 1993.

From that time, Nital and I developed a friendship that went beyond the classroom. After I left that school, we never lost touch. She went to KL to do her A levels and then to University of Bath for her first degree and then to KL for her masters and then she joined an American MNC as an engineer. Recently, she resigned from her job and is in the process of applying for her doctoral studies in US.

Nital and I meet up quite often for tea, dinner, sometimes lunch and occasionally visits me at my home. A few weeks ago, when I was down with a very bad bout of vertigo, she took me to the clinic and much later, I realized that it was her birthday! Such is her selfless-nature!

Last night, we met up again for dinner with my family and a mutual friend with whom she worked with in the same department. The other friend treated us to dinner at Paddington's House of Pancakes. I had Alabama - grilled chicken with creamy sauce over pancakes, my dear husband had smoked salmon while my son had some stuff with salami and another friend had sausages etc and Nital had a vegetarian dish.




















Later that evening, Nital treated us to chocolate ice-cream fondue at Haagen Daas. i am glad Nital saw beyond her fear of me and that we forged and have maintained such a beautiful friendship through the years....Thanks, sweetheart. Love you lots! (And I am trying to find her a good match :-).Hint!!!)



In times like these, I look back on the years or even months that have gone by and I think about the many friends I have made and lost. A friend is someone who is honest and we can trust, with whom we can hang out with a lot, and some one we rely on because we share a common bond.

The events in the past year have made me into a social recluse. There have been times when I felt I could click with someone and then my words or actions could have caused that person to exit from my life. And believe me, it is very painful indeed when that happens and when overtures to make amends hit a brick wall. I am still trying to come to grips with some scenarios, one of which was with the closest friend that my husband and I had for over 22 years. All of a sudden, it was silence after one last dinner at Jade Garden in Pavillion. And of course there are one or two more friends I lost along the way...Yet, I still hold them dear to my heart despite the wall of cold silence and remember them very fondly, replaying the moments shared, emails exchanged and beautiful moments that I cherish deeply.

When waves of sentimentalism hit me, tears begin to flow and I wonder why some cannot forgive or let go of the mistakes I made, despite my apologies. In one or two cases, I honestly did not do or say anything wrong and till today, know not why things developed as such. Friendship isn't be inseparable. It is being separated and knowing nothing will change.
In other situations, I was wronged and I walked away without bothering to explain myself. I used to but not anymore for I feel that it is not worth it. There are some things of worth and others which are not and I have learnt to hold on to what matters and to let go of what does not. Some may wonder why I do not adopt a harsh or hard-hitting approach in my social interaction or in my blog and some may even wonder if I am too soft or compliant.

The truth is, I am a very fierce, hot-headed and aggressive woman with a very sharp tongue indeed. However, my experiences in the past few years have taught me that sometimes it is better to win the person and lose the battle than to won the battle and lose the friend/student. Aggression gets me nowhere, at the same time, groveling is not my style. I think the worst thing in any relationship is not a quarrel but cold-blooded silence of rejection as seen in the facial expressions or in e-mails that elicit no response or heard in the coldness of one's voice or seen in the body language or worse still, in all the areas I mentioned! Often times, I wonder why some choose that path but I judge them not but mourn the loss and move on, still, with the hope of reconciliation some day.

Yet, I cannot imagine a life without friends. Friends bring about a sense of balance in one's life and allow one to enjoy life fully. As Samuel Johnson remarks, "True happiness consists not in the multitude of friends, but in their worth and choice."

Friends are not quite like anyone else in one's life, one is apprehensive in others' lives, concerns, and general well-being. Friends make others feel superior, are attentive, and long to be around under any circumstances. With time, the result of such qualities allows a relationship to be factual, blissful, emotionally stable, and have a unique bond. A friend "for a lifetime" provides respect, integrity, loyalty, and honesty in a relationship.

Making friends for a lot of us comes naturally, but maintaining these friendships may become somewhat difficult. This is because true friendship cannot survive without love, respect and honesty. If any of these aspects are lacking in the friendship, it will slowly disintegrate. True friendship needs equal shares of love, respect and honesty. Therefore, to maintain true friendship, you need the whole package, just not apart of it.

Love is naturally a part of any relationship. In a friendship, love can mean so many things. It means being there when your friend needs you, no matter what the circumstances may be. It means listening to your friend’s problems and giving them advice to help them out when they are not sure what to do. Or love can just mean giving your friend a hug to show them how much you care. When each friend feels this love, they feel respected. Love ties into respect, which is another important part of true friendship.

Respect is a quality in which one views others in high regard. One shares respect in a friendship. To gain one's respect, one should show respect for others. For instance, if the respect is not mutual the relationship will not have an assured outcome. A friend is respectful when one is content to be oneself. The amount of respect will never change under any situation. One's thoughts and perception is the same no matter who is around. Respectful friends do not violate or interfere with one's personal space. True friends understand the appropriate actions to take to clarify the issue. Not only do true friends protect one another, but one also knows when to back off. Respect is the treatment of others in a kind and considerate manner. Respect in a friendship is just not given, it’s earned. One appreciates the ways in which he or she is unique. An open mind allows a respectful friendship to be everlasting - and that is a precious lesson that I have learnt from blogging.

Human survival is based on friendship. From the highest authority to the lowest bums living on the streets all of them have experienced in some way or the other one of different kinds of friendships. We take this friendship for granted because it is something that exists naturally in society and most of us never really have to actually go out into the world looking for a friend. We cannot thrive successfully as individuals or as a society without having some form of friendship with other individuals at different stages of our lives. Mark Twain said, "Grief can take care of itself, but to get the full value of joy you must have somebody to divide it with."

Frankly, I am deeply grateful that you, dear reader, has taken the time to read my post. It means a lot to me - the knowledge that someone out there is reading my thoughts and even more, when/if you leave a comment. Thanks for allowing me to divide my joys with you and I pray that we will be blessed with more real and genuine friends in our lives. Remember that true friendship cannot be seen with our eyes...but felt in our hearts...





To all my friends in the past and present, thanks for enriching my life! Those moments will never be forgotten just as sure as your precious e-mails or sms messages are not deleted. This is for you...


Please leave a comment if you wish. I would love to hear from you. Thanks.Take care and have a lovely evening!

friendship globe Pictures, Images and Photos

12 comments to REFLECTIONS AND MORE REFLECTIONS

  1. says:

    nick Hi there Sis,

    Such a moving account! I would like to share with you a malay proverb which says " Berkasih biar seribu, berkawan biar satu"...err..that's wrong..It's actually " Berkasih biar satu, berkawan biar seribu" ( My missus will hit the ceiling with the former proverb..he..he).

    Indeed friendship is a valuable commodity but it shares the same trait as commodity too... Sometimes that commodity turns out to be less valuable as times goes by. True friendship is like gold and diamonds, they last forever. And like wise they are very rare. Am i rambling??...

    Well the point is...(what was it I wanted to write???) Oh yes..
    (after a big bowl of mee kari), Life is a journey and along the way you pick up things that you treasure. Sometime those things seems to be gems at first sight but later in life it turn out as an ordinary glass. But occasionally you will find the real McCoy, a rare gem, a diamond, a treasure... and that will be worth the trouble for this journey of life.

    I see that you have found not one but a couple of treasures in your journey. To be sure you are very lucky Sis. I hope will find more of such gems in the future.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us and have a great life and future. GOD bless.

    Hamba.

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Nick,

    Thanks for being a rare gem of a friend in my life. I only know your name, not your face or your family and yet via this blog, you have shown yourself to be a real friend, sincere and earnest in your comments.

    You are right in that true friends are really rare...hard to find in this cruel world.

    And I hope that we will remain as friends, even to the extent of attending the weddings of our children!!

    Take care and know that my heart is filled with gratitude and appreciation of all that you have written...and felt in your heart.

    May the Almighty bless you and yours always.

    Salam

  1. says:

    stephen Hate to say it but you can look fierce man!! I'd probably pee in my pants if you were my teacher and i didn't do my homework assignment!!
    Jokes aside, I think what you wrote makes a lot of sense.In any discussion where there is a difference of opinion,in my younger days ,i would press on with my case irregardless.Now, i see things differently,we keep our opinions and sanity, and agree to disagree.Likewise,if you have to do something for someone and you dislike doing it,throwing a tantrum is counter productive as you still need to do the chore (eg driving someone somewhere),this time you've made the person upset and your kind act has instead become a point of friction.If you had held your feelings and done the chore cheerfully, then things would be different,the effort put in is the same but the result would be positive.Think about that!

  1. says:

    edward Dear Paula,

    Is Nital the student of yours that you were telling me about? How sweet it is this beautiful friendship of yours.

    I can see that you are still affected by some friendships that had gone sour. Maybe its better to let it go, set them free. If it comes back it was meant to be and the friendship will take on a new deeper meaning.

    Thanks for the nice video by Dionne Warwick and friends, a beautiful song written by my all time favourite composer - Burt Bacharach. I would like to leave you with lyrics of another equally touching song on friendship. Enjoy!

    Best wishes,Edward

    "You've Got A Friend"

    When you're down and troubled
    And you need a helping hand
    And nothing, nothing is going right
    Close your eyes and think of me
    And soon I will be there
    To brighten up even your darkest night

    You just call out my name
    And you know wherever I am
    I'll come running to see you again
    Winter, spring, summer or fall
    All you have to do is call
    And I'll be there, yeah, yeah, yeah.
    You've got a friend

    If the sky above you
    Should turn dark and full of clouds
    And that old north wind should begin to blow
    Keep your head together
    And call my name out loud, yeah
    Soon I'll be knocking upon your door

    You just call out my name
    And you know wherever I am
    I'll come running, oh yes I will
    To see you again
    Winter, spring, summer or fall
    All you have to do is call
    And I'll be there, yeah, yeah, yeah.

    Ain't it good to know that you've got a friend
    When people can be so cold
    They'll hurt you, and desert you
    And take your soul if you let them
    Oh yeah, but don't you let them

    You just call out my name
    And you know wherever I am
    I'll come running to see you again
    Winter, spring, summer or fall
    All you have to do is call
    And I'll be there, yes I will.

    You've got a friend
    You just call out my name
    And you know wherever I am
    I'll come running to see you again (oh baby don't you know)
    Winter, spring, summer or fall
    All you have to do is call
    Lord, I'll be there yes I will.
    You've got a friend

    Oh, you've got a friend.
    Ain't it good to know you've got a friend.
    Ain't it good to know you've got a friend.
    You've got a friend.

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Stephen,

    :-) Don't worry! I know I have a very austere look on my face. It is even worse in real life haha! This week itself, my remarks (just remarks, not even scolding!) made two 18 yr olds cry :-(.

    Life is certainly one rocky journey. What you wrote is not only deep and profound but has happened to me before.

    Thanks for the timely reminder and for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.

    Do take care and have a good weekend.

    Cheers

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Edward,

    Yes, this is she, the student I was talking about :-). Indeed it is a beautiful friendship, not just with her but with her parents and brother as well!

    I think the memory of those friendships hurt because it just fizzled into thin air .....zzzzzz just like that and nothing could be more emotionally painful than the pain of rejection inflicted by someone we love.

    I don't think those friendships would ever come back. For each one, I tried a minimum of 3 times, some more than 5 times and I have moved on, although I must admit that I am deeply, very deeply hurt that we could have shared so much and then to walk away without a word...Surely after building ties, we deserve an explanation? To be told where we went wrong that we might make amends and build bridges that collapsed?

    Sighs.

    Life is not as simple huh....

    Having said that, one did come back and I will see her next week :-) as she is returning from abroad and true enough, we are closer now than ever before.

    Ah - our age is showing...I am also a Burt Bacharach fan :-).

    Thanks for the lyrics to the song...here's a video clip of James Taylor singing it...Somehow, even though Carole King wrote it, I prefer James Taylor's version.

    You've Got A Friend

    Take care and have a lovely evening and wonderful Sunday tomorrow!

    Shalom
    Paula

  1. says:

    A Arthur Hello MWS,

    It is always a sad episode that a friend left us without saying good-by, and just disappeared forever from our lives which leaves us wondering what have we done to them that they have to walk away so abruptly.

    From what you have written, you seem to be the sentimental and the 'romantic' type who valued friendship above all else and would cry copious tears when you lose them physically (say death or going to a faraway land) and emotionally (events that are beyond your controls).

    Consider this seriously, sometimes when friends walk out on us it may be simply due to their failures in life or due to illness. The last couple of years have seen the world's economic pie shrink drastically and these have taken a heavy financial toll amongst those who were doing well before. Some of my friends lost almost everything and they went into hiding, from ligitation and legal action, to bankruptcy to Ah Longs to owing friends money. And it is not because they want to desert us but circumstances have made them feel like pariahs. And they feel that it is best that they do not want to burden you with their sad failures.

    Or a friend may be stricken by cancer or some terminal illness and his/her world has collapsed. When these friends are terminally ill they naturally would avoid friendship and the only thing that they can do is to disappear from your lives without saying a word.

    So what do we do if our long time friends will to walk out on us. We can pray for their well beings. And prayers are a powerful antidote, pray that we understand why he/she walk out on us, pray that he/she will find his/her path, pray that his/her problems can be resolved and pray that we will meet again. Note that our prayers may not give us the answers why he/she walk out on us, but by the power of our prayers we can help him/her in a spiritual way as God moves in mysterious way.

    Yes, always be there to understand that he/she does not walk out on us for no reasons. And we always can pray sincerely, according to your own religion and God, for his/her well being.

  1. says:

    Anonymous Dear MWS,

    I like this post very much. I can empathise with you. And I can "feel" your pain, as i have been in your many situations before.

    In fact, i am ashamed to say that i am one of your MOST ardent readers AND cyber-friend (though only recently) who is now "hiding" from you for reasons that i cannot write here in this "climate of fear".

    But remember....I am still your friend. And i am sure there are many out there who are still your friends even though they have been silent lately.

    Yes, i have the greatest respect for you. You are a woman, no, i should say...."a person of substance".

    And i hope my young female students will grow up to be like you. Many of my students have thanked me for linking your blog; they said they have learned MORE from your blog than at their sociology classes!!

    CHEERS.

    Fr: Hiho

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Arthur

    My deepest apologies for this late response to your caring and sensitive comment. I truly appreciate the time you must have taken to write this comment and am deeply touched that even though we have never met, you took the trouble to reach out to one such as I.

    I do understand the various scenarios you have painstakingly itemized. What irks me is the silence. Surely as friends one deserves some honesty or is the friendship so worthless that I can be chucked away like a rag doll that has no utility to the owner? That is what hurts the most. The silence. The coldness. Rejection in the face of overtures of love.

    Sighs.

    I guess I will never know the truth until they choose to share with me and the wound, hopefully, in time, will heal although the scars will remain almost always.

    The only balm for the pain would be me replaying the moments of joys spent together with those whom I loved and lost...

    Such is the tragedy...

    Sighs.

    Yup...I am far too sentimental for my own good.

    Thanks, Arthur. Take care and have a great week!

    Shalom,
    mws

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Anonymous @ 11.24 p.m.

    My deepest appreciation to you for your warm and candid comment.

    Do not hide anymore and there is only a climate of fear if fear lurks in one's heart.

    I sincerely appreciate your kind and comforting words that have touched me deeply. Sometimes, when deserted by those we love, it kind of makes us see others differently and often times, I remind myself not to love so much but alas, that characteristic is ingrained into my soul and will continue to love in spite of, despite...

    Thanks for linking my blog...Er I have a rough idea who you are. Yea - I taught sociology for many years and miss the classroom environment very much.

    Do take care...thanks for reading my blog and for being an ardent fan. You can leave your email here (will not be published) and I can get in touch with you from there if you like.

    Take care and my best wishes go to you and your family, not forgetting your students.

    Warmest wishes
    Paula

  1. says:

    Anonymous Dear Paula (finally i want to address you as Paula, instead of MWS),

    I really admired your gutsy tenacity to voice out your societal grouses. You are a true sociologist!

    Me? I am part of the silent majority, BUT i am still doing my part, if you get my drift.

    Ohyes, I still owe you a sincere apology for not replying to your enquiry why i have been so quiet lately in my blog.

    I thank you for your concern, i am fine.And as i have mentioned before, i am pretty worried of the direction that your recent posts have been heading.

    My students and i love your blogs, and we wish you well.

    May God bless you & your family.

    Fr: Hiho

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Anonymous @ 12.48 am

    It is truly lovely to be in touch again after sooooooooo long. I thought I had offended you...

    I am but a very small independent fry not with any group voicing my views cos I miss my classroom so much haha...

    Thanks for your concern. If it makes you feel better, I am also concerned!!! Sometimes, we have to struggle between fear and conscience and for the moment, conscience has a louder voice although other times, fear is louder if you get my drift.

    Thanks to you and your students for reading my blog and may the Lord bless you and yours too.

    Have a great week and please keep in touch.

    Warmest wishes
    Paula

    P.S. I believe you have my email so do drop a line when you can. Thanks.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
.