ONLY FRIENDS?

Posted by Unknown On Sunday, January 31, 2010 18 comments
My apologies to you, dear readers, for the delay in putting up this post. I had tea with a reader from KL and spent a lovely Sunday afternoon together together with her husband and my son. I have not finished the post I wrote halfway but hope to do so asap. Here's a post I am writing because of my reaction to one of my former student's update in Facebook. He put up this video and gave me a blast to my past. Readers who are baby boomers like me may remember this song and even if you don't, please give it a shot. You will not be disappointed! Take care and have a lovely evening! Swing by later for the next sopo post. Thanks!

_____________________________________________________________

It was only this evening that I learnt the name of the singer of one of my favorite songs that I used to sing during my teenage-angst filled days and nights, fretting over the few guys whom I used to like. Gosh! I just can't believe I was such a clueless teenager then to sing this song repeatedly with absolutely no idea of the singer's identity.

Françoise Madeleine Hardy, born 17 January 1944) is a French singer, actress and astrologer. Hardy is an iconic figure in fashion, music and style. Her song Only Friends (ton meilleur ami) comforted me for many days and nights in the 1970's!!! You can read more about her HERE.

It is very normal for a teenager or a young adult for that matter to wonder if a guy likes her or not. When counselling my former students, I used to smile when they recounted every single thing their date did, the sms messages, emails, dates, conversations etc. They would replay these to me in such a picture perfect manner and I could almost see everything happening before my eyes. I could identify with them and gave them very good advice - and why? I had walked down that road before!

Basically, I do not fall in love easily and was totally unaware when a guy was interested in me until a friend told me so. However, if I liked one guy then - aha! I would be so totally consumed with thoughts, hopes and dreams of that guy. No wonder the first song I learnt how to play on the guitar was The Everly Brothers' "All I have to do is Dream.."

Well, for those of you who were once young, and smitten by love...even for those of you who are still young and in the throes of deep love, enjoy this lovely song and reminisce of the time when you first fell in love or thought you did...and how the question "Are we only friends or more?" became the tag line of your dreams and leisure...:-).

Dedicated to my husband and ahem old flames :-) wherever you may be...

Only Friends (ton meilleur ami)1964

If we are only friends
Why do you kiss me like you do?
If we are only friends
Why do you hold me all night through?
Do the words "I love you"
Never come to your mind
Don't you know I love you?
Or is love really blind?

And every time we dance
When there is starlight up above
I wonder if by chance
You will discover this is love
Could we be as happy
As we both seem to be?
Could we be so happy
For the whole world to see if we are only friends?

All evening in your arms you hold me
'Til suddenly it's time to part
I wonder why you always hold me
So close to your heart

If we are only friends
Why don't you dance with someone new
And when the party ends
Why do I always leave with you
There's a happy ending
But on you that depends
And until you tell me
I can only say
We're just very good friends
We are only good friends
We're still very good friends.

ONLY FRIENDS

Have a lovely evening and do leave a comment to share your experiences...:-). Thanks!

18 comments to ONLY FRIENDS?

  1. says:

    Unknown Hi there,

    Thanks! Ah - are you by chance a baby boomer like me? Take care and thanks for swinging by! Have a lovely evening with your loved ones.

    Best wishes,
    mws

  1. says:

    you can spank me Hi MWS,seems like you're in the mood for the big L!!
    I remember the song very well.The haunting lyrics and the sultry french voice.Oo La La!!
    You've got me in the mood too.I'm going to bed early...to sleep lah,what were you thinking?!!
    You can call me by my new name.I'm giving it a test run.Stephen sounds too mundane...

  1. says:

    Unknown *piak piak* (spanking sound made with wooden spoon haha)

    I see you have been a naughty boy LOL!!!By now, you will be safe in the arms oops I mean safe under the twinkling stars of the night snoozing away :-) haha!

    Glad you like the song too. My husband and son have evacuated to another part of the house to escape the strains of this song which has been played over thirty times by now hehe...

    Have a lovely evening and take care!

    Cheers

  1. says:

    LC Teh I can definitely remember this one without even listening to it. It used to play in my head all the time, because they played it almost all day on Radio RAAF, Butterworth too. ...sigh... to think it's half a century gone...

  1. says:

    edward Dear MWS,

    Yes still remember this singer and her famous hit of the 60's. In fact I still have in my possession an LP of her English songs. Just like Astrud Gilberto I find her voice sultry yet her singing is so honest. Must have brought back many memories for you.

    Cheers,
    Edward

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear LC Teh

    Amazing - We're almost the same age and I grew up listening to Radio RAAF!! Yes, you are right! They used to play it so often...Oh those were the days, my friend...We thought they'd never end....

    Take care and thanks for swinging by and joining in this trip down memory lane..

    Cheers

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Edward

    Indeed her voice is so natural, mellow and yet sultry at the same time...I gave away all my vinyls...so sad...It is good that you still have yours! Real gems from the past. I have not heard of Astrud Gilberto or may I did listen to her songs without knowing her name ;-). Take care and have a blessed week.

    Shalom

  1. says:

    stephen I remember as a boy with raging hormones,I'd fall head over heels over any pretty lass and have numerous crushes.Songs by Bread,Bobby Vinton,Johnny Tillotson would put me in the mood for daydreaming and help steepen the onset of falling grades in school!

    Alas, they were all puppy loves and as I grew older and wiser and allowed more blood to be channelled up north,I began to lose the rose tinted glasses and think of the importance of choosing the right life partner.

    But isn't it great to reminisce of those what ifs and what might have beens? Suddenly you feel young again and transported to the good ole days when you were carefree and had a broad mind and narrow waist.Now,alas, they've traded places.

    OK I'm off to bed,been cycling trying to keep up with that wild seed of my wife in my quest to reduce that midriff bloom.

    Au Revoir

  1. says:

    Anonymous Oh yeah, I remember this one very well. But like you, I wasn't too good with names if they don't have a large body of work for me to remember them by.

    Why so pensive all of a sudden? I can sense that, despite the upbeat appearance in this piece.

    Phil the Frier

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Stephen

    Ah - I see cycling has restored some normalcy into your psyche :-). How lucky!!! I am still editing my post on "WILL THE DOMINANCE EVER END?" which should read "WILL THIS POST EVER END?" because it is such a long long discourse as a result of the volume of reading I did today! Sighs...The things we do to keep sane hehe...

    Well, you are right. It is one thing to be influenced by media and pop music and it is another to be rightly guided by heart and head. If I had followed the dictates of Bread, Gates, Vinton, Sinatra or Tillotson, I would probably still be singing "Single Girl" by now haha...

    Oh yes - I have rewritten many of my romances and still wonder if I would be where I am today if I had...And then my boy will snap me to reality by saying, "Then you wouldn't have me, mom..." Indeed I would not trade my darlings....:-)

    Haha ya traded places alright. You make me feel so guilty...Ok gym membership after Chap Goh Meh!

    Cheers...and it is back to my never ending post...till the next post ...Take care and blessings to you and yours.

  1. says:

    Unknown Hi Phil the Frier (are you PYTC??)

    Oh - it is because of the blast to the past that started with a youtube video posted by a friend in facebook that made me so nostalgic.

    To be honest, there is a double entendre intended in the blog title with an indirect reference to the current spat between DAP and some PKR leaders...:-)

    Take care and have a lovely evening!

    Cheers

  1. says:

    A Arthur Wow, this is also my favorite song. Love it till blue...

  1. says:

    Unknown Hi Arthur

    :-) Glad to know we share the same taste in music! Take care and happy listening...

    Cheers

  1. says:

    Anonymous 'you got a friend' by carol king .

  1. says:

    Unknown Hi Anon @ 8.49pm

    I love that one too- posted it in my article on James Taylor...

    Take care and let the music play on...

    Cheers

  1. says:

    Anonymous wat about ' old friend' by Art & simon ?

  1. says:

    Unknown Hi Anon @ 11.43pm

    :-) It is "OLD FRIENDS" :-), not "Old Friend"...

    Wow - yes I love that one...it is rare that people know that one but I am a Simon & Garfunkel fan :-)...

    R u?

    cheers

  1. says:

    Anonymous i like BEST their 'sound of silence'.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
.