TWELVE YEARS DOWN THE ROAD

Posted by Unknown On Sunday, January 17, 2010 33 comments
Last night, some of you are aware that I attended Kenneth's wedding. He is a former college student whom I taught in 1997. Then, he had just completed his SPM at Chung Ling High School and had registered at the college for a Certificate in Business course. He did quite well and moved on to the Diploma I of ABE where I taught him again the following year.

At that time, Kenneth outshone the girls in the term exam and then crashed in the trial. During the post-mortem, he promised that he would get 'A' for my Business Communication and Presentation subject at the Diploma I ABE exam and till today, he is the only guy to ever score 'A' for that subject amongst all the courses that I taught! Ninety-five per cent of them are very successful in the banking, shipping and other sectors holding managerial positions and I am indeed very proud of all of them!

That year was a difficult time in my life because I was expecting my second son. I was cranky and demanding in that I wanted nothing but the best from my students. This group of students was in sharp contrast with another group that punctured my car tyre (same tyre) for three consecutive weeks. By then, I was in my fifth month of my pregnancy.

I walked into the lecture hall sombrely and told them squarely, "I know some of you hate me to the core of your being. It is fine if you want to see me dead should my car spin out of control because of the punctured tyre. Just don't forget that in the event that I perish, you have not snuffed out one but TWO lives - including the one in my womb."

An electrifying silence filled the room. No one moved. Neither did I. I knew who were the culprits and I looked at them squarely in the eye and they turned away. I never confronted them, neither did they apologize or confess. I just let sleeping dogs lie and finished the course with no other untoward event.

In sharp contrast, Kenneth's class was one that showed me nothing but the highest respect even though I was a tough cookie when it came to homework or lectures. I trained them to think and to challenge me with questions for I never ever enjoyed teaching a class where the kids kept quiet to take down notes or to merely listen and absorb knowledge.

We had such glorious times during our two courses at the certificate and diploma level. The whole class even came to my house for an end-of-term bash. From then, quite a number of them would visit me on the second day of every Chinese New Year and we would spend the afternoon reminiscing and sharing our experiences. Kenneth is the last one from that group to be married :-) whilst a number of them have at least one or two kids.

It will be difficult to find such responsible students like Kenneth's cohort amongst students today. They were open to constructive criticism, challenges, pressure of meeting deadlines (I was a renowned homework ogress) and treated me with so much respect, love and kindness that touched me deeply. Till today, I am very good friends with many from that cohort. I am blessed indeed! That is the greatest blessing of teaching - moulding minds, touching lives and forging long-lasting friendship beyond the classroom.

Class of '98 - You all have a very special place in my heart and I will never ever forget you guys! See you during the next Chinese New Year!

33 comments to TWELVE YEARS DOWN THE ROAD

  1. says:

    QQ It takes a successful teacher to produce a successful student.

    Yes, you are blessed indeed!

    We feel proud of you too.

  1. says:

    Hafiz b Shukor Memory Lane,
    We're here again,
    Back to the days,
    And I'll remember you always,
    So much has changed,
    Now it feels like yesterday I went away.


    Salam

  1. says:

    Hafiz b Shukor Kenneth your student of 1997?

    Oh, sis, you don't look your age!

    You know what I mean, don't you?

  1. says:

    Anonymous What a sumptuous dinner!

    However, I wonder if you spent most of the time enjoying the food or taking a trip down memory lane, haha...

  1. says:

    Very Sad Asking the students to challenge you with questions? Oh, oh, that's the last thing the present-day teachers will ever do!

    Nowadays, teachers make sure the students merely listen, keep quiet, take down notes and absorb knowledge.

    Can anyone tell me why?

  1. says:

    Anonymous Your twelve year down the road was from 1997 to now.

    Can you imagine what will happen twelve year down the road for Malaysia, to the year 2022 ?

    Good, bad, horrible ?

    There are silver linings amidst the looming dark clouds.

    http://perakexpress.com/www/2010/01/15/forum-nama-allah-salut-untuk-anak-muda/

    and

    http://harismibrahim.wordpress.com/2010/01/16/do-unto-others-as-you-would-have-done-unto-you/

    Denim Guy.

  1. says:

    Ckw Knowledge alone cannot give rise to value. It is only when knowledge is guided by wisdom that value is created!

    You are so blessed to have such a wonderful group of successful and thoughtful students!

    Have a nice day

  1. says:

    Anonymous Lim Guan Eng maintained today his stand that DAP political aide Teoh Beng Hock did not commit suicide.

    “Teoh Beng Hock’s death will forever be the most sorrowful moment in DAP’s history; we will seek justice for him, whatever it takes, and we will never forget Beng Hock.

    DAP National Chairman Karpal Singh warned the police that if any unlawful action was taken against the Penang Chief Minister, they would be held accountable.

    “If you touch Lim Guan Eng unlawfully, we will take you to court.”

    - Malaysian Insider

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear QQ

    Thanks so much for that very touching comment. Indeed, I am thankful for your encouragement. Thanks for being so supportive. Take care and have a good day!

    Cheers

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Saudara Hafiz

    Thanks for that poem...is it from a song?

    :-) Wah - thanks for the compliment...I thought I look so old in the pics.

    Take care and thanks for being so supportive too.

    Have a lovely evening!

    Salam

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Anonymous @ 2.16 p.m.

    Actually, it was both :-)...We enjoyed the sumptuous dinner and also enjoyed our journey down memory lane updating each other about ourselves and other mutual friends..

    Take care and have a lovely evening!

    Best wishes

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Very Sad

    I agree with you...That is why many of my students said that I am eccentric. They used to ask me why I insisted that they asked me questions and when they didn't, I would ask them many questions. In the end, they realized it was easier for them to ask me questions than to answer my questions LOL!!!

    The point is, if one does not ask questions and sits there to just listen, that would be the beginning to one's intellectual death!

    Students who join my class always suffer from culture shock when they first join my course because I do not allow them to write notes when I lecture :-). They have to listen and respond. At the same time, they are free to interrupt me at any time to let me know if I am going too fast or if they don't understand...After I finish my lecture, they are free to write as much as they want when the discussion or Q & A is going on...Quite radical but it worked becuase it ensured they gave me their undivided attention :-).

    These days, some teachers don't appreciate queries because perhaps they do not know how to answer the questions or feel slighted that the student did not understand.

    Whatever the case, things are not the same any more...I look back on those years with much fondness and am glad for all I went through and those whom I taught. It was a mutual relationship because I also learnt from them as well...

    Sorry for the long response, Village Boy..but it comes from my heart.

    Take care and have a great evening.

    Cheers

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Denim Guy

    Ah - That was the double entendre that I intended when I selected that post title...really. I hoped that some would think about what would happen to Malaysia 12 years down the road and you did! Thanks!!!

    Thanks also for the links...I checked out the articles but have a bit of difficulty understanding the first article because of my lack of fluency in BM.

    Take care and my appreciation to you for being a reader who cares, who wants to raise awareness and ever ready to share what you have trawled from the net for all our benefit.

    We are blessed! Take care, Denim Guy!

    Cheers

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear CKW

    Thanks for your wise and touching comment. Indeed, I have been blessed by this group of students who have always been there for me, ready to extend a helping hand whenever I needed any help.

    It is a beautiful reciprocal relationship indeed and that is what life is about - giving and receiving but it is always more blessed to give than to receive.

    Have a nice day, CKW. Take care and God bless you!

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Anonymous @ 4.52 p.m.

    Thanks for sharing that information. I will check it out after this. It appears that they are trying to topple the system in a few states...it is so obvious. Sighs...

    Take care and have a good day!

    Best wishes

  1. says:

    Hafiz b Shukor Yes, it's from the song :
    "Memory Lane" (MCFLY LYRICS)

    I'm no poet, and neither am I a songwriter, haha!


    Salam

  1. says:

    QQ We owe so much to our teachers for what we are now!

  1. says:

    stephen MWS,I thought your stern looking face is enough to scare the straws out of a scarecrow!!

    You know,many years ago when I was always feeling stressed out at work,a good friend of mine took me aside and gave me some valuable advice.

    Well,he said its good to be a perfectionist,but sometimes you have to learn to let go and forgive yourself.You can't always be perfect neither can you expect others to be too.You will make mistakes and miss objectives and so will others, its part of life itself.Its how you pick yourself up from the quagmire that matters the most.

    His words,now etched in my mind, has helped me cope with the stresses of life and work,and whenever i feel stressed out,those words bring me comfort.
    Do a job to the best of your abilities,give it 110%, but at the end of the day, if the results are not to expectations,still,give yourself a pat on the back for giving it your best shot.

    Then reflect,restrategize and recharge for another day.Works for me.
    I think you need to start teaching again,I can sense the passion!!Have a great evening.I sure am!!

  1. says:

    QQ All our schooling and education will be meaningless if we fail to appreciate our teachers or understand their hearts.
    It would amount to nothing more than a superficial facade of an education, an empty education.

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Saudara Hafiz

    Oh - I must check out that song in youtube..Thanks for sharing!

    I do write poetry and songs but am a mere amateur...Have posted them somewhere in my blog...

    Take care ...

    Salam

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear QQ

    Agree! I still keep in touch with some of my teachers...Take care and have a lovely evening.

    Warmest regards

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Stephen

    LOL!!! True! I do look very fierce and actually had few problems in class control.

    You know the song from "Sunset Boulevard" - WITH ONE LOOK...

    LOL! I just needed to give my murderous look and the class would be quiet or I would keep quiet and then the class would be in silence. No need to scold...

    Your friend is indeed a wise old soul...Great advice! Such positivism is required to keep sane in this cruel world.

    My husband has the same philosophy - he is never rattled under any circumstance and remains resilient..No wonder he looks young and handsome despite being in his 50's!

    Er...at the rate the standards are dropping, I doubt I would ever go back to the classroom although I really miss that very much.

    I come alive in the classroom and it is so satisfying to teach and see the change in the students' lives and work - to know that somehow and somewhere, we touched each other's lives.

    Take care and have a lovely evening.

    Best wishes

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear QQ

    Wow - I am certain you must have been a very good and grateful to your teachers for all that they have done for you...One who has been touched by angels will also touch others ...the way you touch my life with your inspiring comments! Thanks!

    Take care and have a lovely evening!

    Warmest wishes

  1. says:

    Anonymous Perfectionism can be a double edge sword.

    A perfectionist can still make mistakes, right?

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Anonymous @ 6.29 pm

    Many thanks for your wise comment.

    I used to be an unbearable perfectionist until the university of life gave me enough hard knocks to make me 'normal' again and to accept imperfections in myself and in others!

    Then - I began to live fully and have never looked back!

    Indeed, no one is perfect and perfectionism can kill not just ourselves but also others!

    Take care...

    Blessings to you and yours always

  1. says:

    JournoDownUnder Dear MWS,
    I wonder if teacher training in your country includes such things as the methodologies employed during the Golden Years of Athens. I remember reading somewhere that Socrates taught his disciples in a unique way. He would answer a question with another question. They will then debate, argue, discuss, even in heated war of the words, going on and on. But at the end of each session, teacher and students would be enlightened, new thinking formed and original question answered.
    The young nowadays don't want to ask question for fear of being ridiculed by asking stupid questions. While being unaware that there is no such thing as a stupid question.
    He who don't ask, will be lost. True?

  1. says:

    Antares Dedicated teachers like you and my first wife (now an active blogger) deserve national recognition. Such a rare breed these days!

  1. says:

    stephen OK,I see something in the pics that I forgot to mention.You're wearing a tee with a tiger motif!! Good grief, you're out to reminisce or strike fear?!!
    Just kidding!! My missus and daughter are both tigers.I sleep with my eyes open!! Ha Ha

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear JournoDownUnder

    I have great admiration for Socrates and many other Greek scholars and must admit I was deeply influenced by his life and works.

    What you shared is most relevant and true. One begins learning by asking questions...

    Thanks so much for enlightening us with your eloquent views. Take care and have a lovely evening.

    Shalom

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Antares

    *blushing* Many thanks for the compliment and recognition :-)...Likewise, savants like you are also a rare breed! Take care and have a lovely evening.

    Hugs

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Stephen

    LOL!!! You are very observant! Actually, I bought that top from Bangkok for Chinese New Year...However, I was running late yesterday evening (again from blogging) and did not have time to iron any evening dresses or whatever so I just wore that top which needed no ironing and a pair of pants which also needed no ironing :-)...LOL!!!

    So it was not to reminisce or to strike fear LOL!!! Aiyo I am having such a laughing fit hahahaha! You really have a wicked sense of humor!

    Take care and thanks for the laughs :-)

    Cheers

  1. says:

    Sui Ling We are so proud to have you as our lecturer. Without you, we may not be where we are now. A big thanks to you for doing a good job.

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Sui Ling,

    It is a delightful surprise to see your comment here! What a validating statement indeed, my dear...I did not tag the pics for privacy reasons :-)...

    Thanks so much for remembering me and for your kind and appreciative statement. I am blessed to have taught you and the others in your group. Lovely to be in touch with you again.

    Wishing you and yours a lifetime of love, joy and happiness!

    Hugs

Related Posts with Thumbnails
.