UNFORGETTABLE POLITICAL ONE-LINERS

Posted by Unknown On Wednesday, March 3, 2010 20 comments
A nationwide poll held in the UK was commissioned by 'UKTV History' to mark the publication of the political journalist and commentator Andrew Marr's History of Modern Britain. Almost 3,000 people were asked for their opinion.

Here are the top ten results. I guess that you will probably find them amusing, funny, in part hilarious and sometimes quite strange; in fact, exactly like our politicians.

1) Boris Johnson [Elected Mayor of London in 2008]: 'I have as much chance of becoming Prime Minister as being decapitated by a Frisbee or of finding Elvis.'

2) John Prescott [Former Deputy-Prime Minister]: 'The Green Belt is a Labour initiative and we intend to build on it.'

3) Harriet Harman [Cabinet Minister]: 'Tony Banks described the English fans arrested in Marseilles as brain-dead louts - that goes for me as well.'

4) Robin Cook [Former Foreign Secretary]: 'They found more dangerous chemicals in Coca-Cola's Dasani mineral water than they did in the whole of Iraq.'

5) Harold Macmillan [Former Prime Minister]: 'It has been said that there is no fool like an old fool, except a young fool. But the young fool has first to grow up to be an old fool to realise what a damn fool he was when he was a young fool.'

6) Boris Johnson: 'Yes, cannabis is dangerous, but no more than other perfectly legal drugs. It's time for a rethink, and the Tory party - the funkiest, most jiving party on Earth - is where it's happening.'

7) Margaret Thatcher: 'I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end.'

8) Michael Howard [former Cabinet Minister]: 'You are the deals-on-wheels Prime Minister - no wonder the Chancellor is not a happy eater!'

9) David Blunkett David is supposed to be a sad, lonely, old, blind b*****. David's not meant to have fun or go to nice restaurants or - heaven forbid - have s**.

10) Edward Heath [1970's Prime Minister]: 'Do you know what Margaret Thatcher did in her first Budget? Introduced VAT on yachts! It somewhat ruined my retirement.'

20 comments to UNFORGETTABLE POLITICAL ONE-LINERS

  1. says:

    Monyet King Good morning MWS. LOL.
    I guess you and I also have have "as much chance of becoming Prime Minister as being decapitated by a Frisbee or of finding Elvis.'"

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Dr. Bala

    LOL!!! Very well said! Glad you enjoyed the humor here. Have a great day! Just came back from a vacation :-) - which explains my slow responses to comments. Have to resume my blogger cum housewifery role again...

    Have a great day!

    Cheers

  1. says:

    Anonymous OT
    This good one which a die hard romantic like Masterwordsmith have not mentioned in her movie list:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3_KU3dViZA

    ;)

    ~wits0~

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear ~wits0~

    Oh! I have never heard of this movie! OMG!!! So romantico the scene!! If my hubby were to carry me like that, sure to die haha!!! And truly, she is sooooooooooo beautiful. Thanks so much for giving me the much needed boost to step up my get fitter, get slimmer - even though I am not getting any younger program "-).

    Thanks a bunch!!!

    Just finished my laundry!!! Next is house-cleaning. This is why I hate to go for holidays :-(.

    Take care and thanks for adding that dash of romantic sentimentalism into my otherwise boring Wed afternoon.

    Cheers

  1. says:

    Penangite MWS should join Pakatan, get elected, and be our MP for Nibong Tebal, to replace that Froggy Tan!

  1. says:

    ahoo Merdeka, Merdeka, Merdaka, 1957 ?
    TAR.

    We (our race) are in dilemma,1970 ?
    MM.

    Work with me and not work for me ?
    AAB.

    We all must embrace diversity, people first and oerformance now ?
    NTR.

    In a political mess like now, the strongest warriors are these two,
    time & patience. The wise shall inherit glory, but shame shall be the legacy of fools.

    May you have lots of wisdom every new day !

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Penangite

    *stunned*

    Thanks for the kind and encouraging comment...I am only cut out to be a blogger :-). Nonetheless, I will always give my support to PR and do whatever is within my abilities to help them.

    Take care and thanks again!

    Have a lovely day, Penangite.

    God bless you.

    Cheers

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear ahoo

    I am blessed, as well as other readers, by your wise and godly comments that you so willingly share here almost daily.

    May you continue to breath inspiration into the lives of your loved ones and people you know, even in this blog :-).

    Yes, I really need wisdom every new day and am glad the loving kindness of God is also new every morning.

    Take care and God bless you and yours.

    Shalom

  1. says:

    Anonymous Oh, Masterwordsmith, you really must watch that version Tara Bulba with Tony Curtiss and Kristine Kaufman. In fact it's more memorable than the later days'
    Romeo and Juliette that made Olivia Hussey famous.

    Yul Bryner looks like a hero anytime, unlike Telly (yucky)Savalas. Hahaha!

    The lyrics:
    http://fwd4.me/HYZ

    ~wits0~

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear ~wits0~

    Aiyo - how can I get a copy???? I have never seen this movie in any shop!!! DO you have a copy? Are you in Penang? If you are, perhaps I can borrow from you? Do let me know...Have you watched "Cinema Paradiso"?

    I did not really enjoy Leonard Whiting & Olivia Hussey in "Romeo & Juliet" because somehow, they looked too sweet together.

    Thanks for sharing!

  1. says:

    Anonymous Aiyoh, MWS, I oso dunno how to get it here except "picking" up some clips from YouTube or ordering it from overseas(yucky complication and cost). There is a third possibilit - Torrents(if it's there! Haha!)

    Yup! Romeo and Juliet was too goo-y( and with a surfeit of santan kinda.

    ~wits0~

  1. says:

    Unknown Hi ~wits0~

    Aha - Glad to know we share similar taste in movies!

    Have you watched Cinema Paradiso?

    Check it out...I also did a post on it last year.

    I can send you a copy if you like...cos I have two copies. Madam Kiasu here always has two or three copies of her favorite movies just in case...:-)..You can let me know your add or PO box no by dropping a line here (will not be published) or at my email mwsunplugged@gmail.com

    I have five copies of Hayao Miyazaki's Grave of the Fireflies - I guess I am the ultimate anime fan of Miyazaki :-) and am waiting for the latest release.

    Take care and God bless you!

  1. says:

    Anonymous Thank you so much MWS, but I think I'm presently not in the mood to watch movies. Anyway, I seem to have less interest in imaginative fiction kind of stuff.

    In fact I gave up fiction books, many years ago unless they were really good ones by master story tellers like Arthur Hailey e.g. Books are not cheap these days, btw. The Net is much more alluring, dynamic and updated.

    Thanks so much also for your email addy - this can be helpful. I was about to seek that by first providing a temporary email of mine. You know there are ways of not revealing your real addy and yet communicate with anyone.

    You see, I'm also well versed in the various ways of encryptions, like PGP, Stenganography etc. ;).
    Not that I really have secrets to hide apart from my PIN numbers, hahaha!

    ~wits0~

  1. says:

    Anonymous Hey MWS,

    Zaparosti!
    Zaparosti!

    ;)

    Yul Brynner in Taras Bulba - The Last Battle
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BReaPypeBlQ

    If you are still stuck with a 2 stereo speaker sound system, get a 2.1 one. The sound quality is always much better, even with this one that I'm using:
    Sonic Gear
    EGO 3Nity
    Speaker - 2.1
    RM59
    http://www.pcdepot.com.my/default.aspx

    ~wits0~

  1. says:

    Anonymous Dear MWS, why isn't 'El Cid' among your fav movies?

    You see 'em all here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XXvtIHRSq4

    - starting with Episode 1 - 17.

    El Cid: Battle for Calahorra
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTm6FOpmp8s&feature=related

    ~wits0~

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear ~wits0~

    True! Since I started blogging, I have not been reading as much as I used to do. Previously, I could devour 3-4 books a week but now it is about a book in two or three weeks. I am currently reading Paul Auster's "The Red Notebook". I love his style.

    I have many of Hailey's books as well :-).

    Yea, I know about anonymous emails..

    Encyptions??? Wow- you are an IT buff! Take care!

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear ~wits0~

    I ever liked Yul Brynner...:-( maybe it is because my mom loved his movies so much and I felt that it was more for more mature women hehe..

    I use a 3-speaker system - Altec Lansing with woofer...almost as good as my home theatre system..a couple of hundred ringgit - can't remember..

    Thanks a bunch for the recommendation. I might get it for my older boy :-).

    Take care and have a great day!

    Cheers

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear ~wits0~

    I do find it strange too that I have not watched El Cid...perhaps it is because I have not been able to get my hands of the dvd. Oh -I love to watch any Charlton Heston movie!!!

    However, I have been to his home in Vivar and also to Burgos. The whole town still hero worships him but then again, I visited the place in 1992 and things might have changed by now...

    I do not like movies of the 21st century except for Transformers, The Dark Knight (check out my review) and a few others...they just don't make movies any more...CGI graphics are not the samelah... I know - I am weird. However, I enjoy foreign movies, especially, French, South American and other Spanish movies.

    Take care and thanks for sharing!

    Have a great day!

    Cheers

  1. says:

    Anonymous Aha, MWS, you got Altec Lansing! Excellent. I don't go for expensive ones because I've had experienced speakers failure b4 after some time, whereby one side pf its speaker(output) no longer output!

    ~wits0~

  1. says:

    Unknown Deat ~wits0~

    I used to be an audiophile so a good sound system and microphones etc = very impt to me.

    I also use infiniti speaker systems for my music.

    So far, i have not had any problems with my Altec Lansing. The woofer is superb...

    Take care and have a good day!

    Cheers

Related Posts with Thumbnails
.