WHAT A LONG LINE AT LINE CLEAR!

Posted by Unknown On Sunday, June 27, 2010 13 comments
I rarely cook on Sundays so we normally eat at our favorite haunts. As usual, my husband would ask me for suggestions so for a change, I suggested the famous Line Clear Nasi Kandar* place which has been operating for almost FIFTY years! After parking our car at Jalan Kampung Malabar, we took a slow walk to the alley off Penang Road via the back lane of the shops nearby.

Believe me - I could not believe it when we reached the place. The long line was not clear and the many long tables there were occupied by patrons who were happily devouring their nasi kandar. Grudgingly, I walked down the alley and kept asking my husband to go somewhere else. The line was almost endless and patiently he said, "It will clear very quickly. Don't worry. Waiting for our turn will help you to develop patience."

*gulps*

Obediently, I took my place in the line behind three Malay gentlemen from Kuala Lumpur who were on holiday in Penang. They told me that it was their fourth visit to Line Clear and that they would come again the next time they visit the island. I was very embarrassed that despite being a true blue Penangite, it was my first time there!

We waited for almost 20 minutes for our turn. I could not believe my eyes when I saw the pot of nasi bryiani before me which costs RM 6.50 per plate. Nasi Briyani is bismati rice that is cooked with spices and served withmeat, fish, eggs or vegetables. The name is derived from the Persian word bryiyani which means "fried" or "roasted".

Nasi Biryani was brought to the Indian Subcontinent by Muslim travelers and merchants. It is popular in South Asia, Arabia and within various South Asian communities in Western countries.

Nasi Briyani @ Line Clear

I had mutton, beef, cabbage and cucumber @ RM 12.50. Frankly, I am quite happy with the nasi kandar at Line Clear because the taste is just right, not too oily or spicy and the prices are quite reasonable.

The last time I had nasi kandar was two years ago @ Pelita. If you want to see pics of the food they serve at Line Clear, do visit THIS LINK OR OVER HERE.

Do leave a comment to share your comments about where one can get the best nasi kandar. If I remember correctly, nasi kandar operators may be facing difficulties in getting workers in the future due to changes in the requirements for foreign labour. Take care and have a lovely evening!
________________________________

Nasi Kandar is a popular northern Malaysian dish, which originates from Penang. It is a meal of steamed rice which can be plain or mildly flavored, and served with a variety of curries and side dishes. Sometimes, some nasi kandar shops also sell nasi briyani.

The word Nasi Kandar, came about from a time when the food hawkers or vendors would carry a kandar stick i.e. a pole on their shoulders with two huge baskets containing an array of dishes and rice. The name has remained and today the word Nasi Kandar is seen on most Tamil Muslim or "Malaysian Mamak" restaurants and Indian-Muslim stall meals.


13 comments to WHAT A LONG LINE AT LINE CLEAR!

  1. says:

    nick Ahh Yes! Sis,

    The nasi kandar! How I long for the taste that's none other can provide except the original Penang nasi kandar.

    Your post bring many memories of my time working in Penang during the 90's. Such an essential part of working and living in Penang to have nasi kandar. Somehow nasi kandar just doesn't taste the same if not eaten in Penang. Some would put it to the ambiance... Whatever it is, nasi kandar and Penang is something truly Malaysian (and no one that includes the people down south can claim as theirs).

    Enjoy your meal Sis and have a great day!

    Nick.

  1. says:

    Cat-from-Sydney Aunty Paula,
    So, the line was not clear? Hmmm.... as long as they don't serve rendang kucing, I'm happy. har har har *evil laughs*

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Nick

    That is whylah...I always invite you to visit Penang with your family. The, together with my family, we can enjoy nasi kandar, roti tisu, roti jala, roti canai, mee rebus/goreng, pasembor etc.

    Thanks so much for jiving with the post. Take care and see you one day in Penang.

    Have a lovely week!

    Salam

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Cat-in-Sydney

    Of course not!!! I will certainly take your mama there when she comes to Penang and order goreng ikan for you and Brad or whatever you like!

    Take care and enjoy Germany vs England!!

    Salam

  1. says:

    Anonymous We have the Kayu version of Nasi Kandar here in Taipan. They claimed it to be the original receipe from Penang but we will not know until we have tasted those in Penang. Yes, one of the day we will come a calling, ya.
    ~ahoo~

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Ahoo

    Kayu has closed its branch which is opposite Line Clear i.e. along Penang. I still believe Line Clear is good as it is not oily or that spicy. Please come to Penang and we will surely take you and your family around for makan sessions. It is the durian season now so do try to come up soon! Take care and have a blessed week!

    Cheers

  1. says:

    rainstorm Hi Smithy.

    Nasi briyani in M'sia is no way near nasi briyani in Hyderabad ! I had so many times of nasi briyani in various cities in India for the past 1 week that i wouldn't want to touch any nasi briyani for the next 2 months when i go back to M'sia :)

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear rainstorm

    Aiyo!! I am so jealous!!! Any chance of packing some for me :-)? Just kidding! Have a great time in India. Looking forward to see the pics! Take care and keep safe and healthy.

    Warmest wishes

  1. says:

    Anonymous Yeah, durian season is on again. Are you a follower of the king of fruit ? Thanks for the invitation!

    Well, I don't really fancy Kayu's food in Taipan here. Nee to try the nasi kandar at Line Clear to know it's goodness.

    Some years ago, we'd tried the sisters Char Kwei Teow at the Maclister road and was pleasantly surprised with it. It tasted much better than our local types.
    ~ahoo~

  1. says:

    patches Ha ha - one of our fav n.k. spots when we are in Penang. On my first visit, i bulked at the surroundings, but after the yummy spices and gravy... that didn't bother me anymore.

    So there, how to boycott mamak food?!! Only one bad mamak and the rest follow.

  1. says:

    Chrono13 The long line was not clear haha... My first time in Penang and I've already tried Line Clear :D but it's a bit too spicy for my palate =.=

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Patches and Chrono13Dancing Mad

    If ever you are in Penang again, please let me know! Leave your number here (will not be published) and I will call you.

    Would be lovely to see you all in person and it will be a great time to catch up in the real world.

    Take care and God bless you and yours!

    Cheers!

  1. says:

    Lockson Line Clear is on my boycott list. Got fleeced Rm32.50 for rice with 2 meat. Reminds me of Scam City.

    Line Clear should be closed down by the authorities for tarnishing the image of Penang.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
.