The City of Regret

Posted by Unknown On Thursday, April 28, 2011 4 comments
I have to admit that I used to be a very emo person. Blogging has infused much strength into my spirit and I seldom wallow in self-pity or regret although I may sometimes slip into regret when I recollect past circumstances. Each of us has a different emotional make-up and sometimes, we can never understand why others behave the way they do but what is more important is that we are in touch with ourselves. Here's a beautiful story which I hope will touch your heart and inspire you to leave the city of regret. Take care and have a wonderful day!

_____________________

I had not really planned on taking a trip this time of year, and yet I found myself packing rather hurriedly. This trip was going to be unpleasant and I knew in advance that no real good would come of it. This is my annual "Guilt Trip."

I got tickets to fly there on "WISH-I-HAD" airlines. It was an extremely short flight. I got my "baggage," which I could not check. I chose to carry it myself all the way. It was loaded down with a thousand memories of "what might have been." No one greeted me as I entered the terminal to the Regret City International Airport. I say international because people from all over the world come to this dismal town.

As I checked into the "Last Resort" Hotel, I noticed that they would be hosting the year's most important event -- the annual "Pity Party." I wasn't going to miss that great social occasion. Many of the towns leading citizens would be there.

First, there would be the "Done" family; you know, "Should Have," "Would Have" and "Could Have." Then came the "I Had" family. You probably know old "Wish" and his clan. Of course, the "Opportunities" family; "Missed and Lost," would be present. The biggest family there would be the "Yesterday's."

There are far too many of them to count, but each one would have a very sad story to share. Of course, "Shattered Dreams" would surely make and appearance. "It's Their Fault" family would regale us with stories (excuses) about how things had failed in their life. Each story would be loudly applauded by the "Don't Blame Me" and "I Couldn't Help It" committee.

To make a long story short, I went to this depressing party, knowing full well there would be no real benefit in doing so. And, as usual, I became very depressed. But as I thought about all of the stories of failures brought back from the past, it occurred to me that this trip and subsequent "pity parties" COULD be cancelled by ME!

I started to realize that I did not have to be there. And I didn't have to be depressed. One thing kept going through my mind, I CAN'T CHANGE YESTERDAY, BUT I DO HAVE THE POWER TO MAKE TODAY A WONDERFUL DAY. I can be happy, joyous, fulfilled, encouraged, as well as being encouraging.

Knowing this, I left Regret City immediately, and didn't leave a forwarding address. Am I sorry for mistakes I've made in the past? YES! But there is no way to undo them.

So, if you're planning a trip back to Regret City, please cancel all those reservations now. Instead, take a trip to a nice place called: "Starting Again." I like it so much that I made it my permanent residence. My neighbors, the "Been Forgiven" and the "We're Saved" are so very helpful. By the way, you don't have to carry around the heavy baggage anymore either. That load is lifted from your shoulders upon arrival. But don't take my word for it, find out for yourself.

- Author Unknown -

4 comments to The City of Regret

  1. says:

    Cat-from-Sydney Aunty Paula,
    What a clever use of phrases. Hey, did Nick see the previous entry on lazy Nikki? purrr...meow!

  1. says:

    walla There is a price to everything.

    Sometimes we think being emotional and vulnerable is good because it naturally shows we are not pretentious or calculating so that we are more honestly open to the ups and downs of life.

    And then sometimes we may also think being logical and self-contained is also good because it enables us to be more efficient in tackling life's daily challenges and tumults.

    The human dilemma in today's complicated world probably arises from our not being able to bud-graft both streams together so that one can be emotionally logical or logically emotional although men will say that a woman facing menopausal challenges can bestride both extremes in the twinkling of an eye. And vice versa, one must hasten to add.

    Which comes to the matter of regret. If one is completely logical about things, regret is futile for it surfaces only from one's wish to erase or change the past, a wish which is therefore traced back to an emotion.

    Yet much of how the landscape of life is painted is inspired everywhere by emotions. The inner eye perceives something beyond what the logically empirical eye sees.

    So that how we value our lives come from the price we are willing to pay for being emotional while trying to be logical.

    Leaving us to conclude moderation in everything is the best road to take even if the world appears to push one to max everything one does.

    Sometimes real progress is made by not pursuing just the logic of life. Thereby delivering the pathos behind it.

    Regrets have their own function for each person. They add a dimension to that pathos of life.

    Thereby delivering the key message - do with what you are having now.

    For it.is.all.in.the.mind.in.the.end.

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Angelina

    Oh - I did not visit Nikki's post until u told me...my older boy is around. nick has seen it and has left his comment :-).

    Yes, I love this post cos of the word play and depth of meaning..

    Take care, sweetheart. Have a purrrrfect day!!!

    Salam

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Walla

    WOW!!! What an awesome response to this story, Walla! Thank you so much. I read it many times and am still awestruck by your elegant eloquence and wisdom. How I wish I could write the way you do. Indeed, mind over matter is the maxim.

    Life is a paradox - filled with much beauty and yet, its pathos an debilitate us if we are not careful.

    The balance between being emo and logical is a fine one. I used to be quite emo and now find myself at a different plain and sometimes I wonder where did all the feelings go? Buried or non-existent?

    Truly, it is the now that matters. I learnt that simple and precious lesson after reading "The Present" by Spencer Johnson.

    Carpe diem, Walla, and God bless you for your angelic presence here and for infusing my blog with your beauty and wisdom.

    Warmest regards

Related Posts with Thumbnails
.