AN HOUR TO LIVE, AN HOUR TO LOVE

Posted by Unknown On Tuesday, February 3, 2009 0 comments
Shopping to me means hours spent at BORDERS, MPH, Popular or when I am in KL, I can spend the whole afternoon or evening at Kinokuniya. Last year, on one Saturday afternoon, I was at Borders (Queensbay Mall) and after buying Jumpha Lahiri's latest award winning book "Unaccustomed Earth", I walked around telling myself that I must not, could not buy any more books as the day before, I had just bought a few more at MPH.

Walking around with a resolved smile, my eyes were drawn to a book with a beautiful cover design. I was completely taken with the book because of its title and sub-title as well.

Upon closer inspection, it reminded me so much to Mitch Albom's books (such as Tuesdays with Morrie, Five People You Meet in Heaven and For One More Day) because of the paper, book size and font type. That aside, I flicked through the book and was quite horrified to discover that this 61-page book cost RM 36.90 unless I opted for the buy 3 for the price of 2 offer. It was quite tempting to sit at Starbucks in the bookshop to finish reading the book but alas, I am not that sort of cheapskate reader because the author deserves to earn her royalties.

Fortunately, a friend was there so I managed to get the book at a cheaper price with the 3 for 2 offer when we combined our purchases of this book, The Last Lecture and another book.

Yesterday morning, after breakfast, I sat at the dining table to continue my reading for the day. I took out this book from the shelves and asked myself if I could be strong enough to handle such an emotional book and I thought I was so off I went on another book journey.

Before I go any further, let me ask you three simple questions:

If you had one hour to live and could make just one phone call, who would you call?
What would you say?
And why are you waiting?

Well, in this book, Richard Carlson (author of the Don't Sweat series) answers those questions and more in an inspiring and uplifting style and shows us the importance of treasuring each day as the incredible gift that it is. He died of a pulmonary embolism in December 2006 at the age of forty-five.

You know, when I started reading the book, there was a small lump in my throat. As I turned the first few pages, the lump grew bigger until I was choked with emotion. Tears welled in my eyes but I resisted because I really felt so so so indignant that I could cry at the first ten pages of a book! To be honest, in the Introduction itself, I did not
even make it to the second paragraph and I just started bawling my eyes out at the part where they were at a beach watching the sunset while her tears rolled down. I really really felt and still feel so much of her love for Richard and her pain. Then, from pages 15 to 33, I cried and cried and cried and cried. Tears gushed out and are flowing even as I bang on my keyboard.

Believe me, this book is one of the most touching, beautiful, inspiring pieces I have ever read. Who wouldn't live their lives differently if they paused and saw their lives from the end?

Unfortunately, by the time most people stop to take stock of their lives, it is too late. Tragically, many of us live in a blind world, running non-stop with our heads down, chasing the wind. Many people don't know what really matters in life anymore. BUT this book is a gift to mankind. It is like a red light for us to pause for a moment, to stop what we are doing, review our lives and realize what really matters. Richard Carlson did that before he died and that made a difference. It helped his wife to cope with the loss.

You know, it may seem natural for many of us to far too often ignore the fundamental tenets of a successful life until it is too late. This powerful little book is such a great reminder of the importance of living every day like it is our last. For, none of us really know when our time on this earth will be over. I remember a quotation by John Wesley...that he would live each day as if it were his last. That way, he will have no regrets as he would not be procrastinating and not doing what he was supposed to do.

Frankly, this book reinforces the meaning of life and how important it is to communicate with the dearest people in our lives - our partners and kids and our family. We need to make sure that all of our loved ones know how important they are to us. In this hyper kinetic, stressed-out world, we all know how easy it is to fail to do so.

Reading this book could help others stop and think about WHAT REALLY MATTERS in their lives. It was an amazing fact that Richard had written this letter without knowing what would be his sad fate. He left a gift of uncountable blessings to his wife and family.

After reading this book, I am glad I tell my loved ones everyday that I love them. Of course, they say....ah but we know you love us...there is no need to tell us again and again. BUT I BEG TO DIFFER because tomorrow may never come...and I may have lost that opportunity to carpe diem....seize the day to tell them how much I love them....

I won't say too much about the book because you have to discover it for yourself....

The book ends with Richard's favourite poem, by Norma Cornett Marek...

TOMORROW NEVER COMES

If I knew it would be the last time that I'd see you fall asleep,
I would tuck you in more tightly, and pray the Lord your soul to keep.

If I knew it would be the last time that I'd see you walk out the door,
I would give you a hug and a kiss and call you back for just one more.

If I knew it would be the last time I'd hear your voice lifted up in praise,
I would tape each word and action, and play them back throughout my days.

If I knew it would be the last time, I would spare an extra minute or two,
To stop and say "I love you," instead of assuming you know I do.

So just in case tomorrow never comes, and today is all I get, I'd like to say how much I love you, and I hope we never will forget.

Tomorrow is not promised to anyone, young or old alike,
And today may be the last chance you get to hold your loved one tight.

So if you are waiting for tomorrow, why not do it today?
For if tomorrow never comes, you will sorely regret the day

That you didn't take that extra time for a smile, a hug, or a kiss,
And you were too busy to grant someone, what turned out to be their one last wish.

So hold your loved ones close today, and whisper in their ear,
That you love them very much, and you'll always hold them dear.

Take time to say "I'm sorry," "Please forgive me," "Thank you," or "It's okay,"
And if tomorrow never comes, you'll have no regrets about today.

Poem written by
Norma Cornett Marek

Dear readers...please read the book...and make sure you have a box of tissues beside you. Have a great week! Please leave a comment if you wish and do visit again.

Here's Ronan Keating and "IF TOMORROW NEVER COMES".




0 comments to AN HOUR TO LIVE, AN HOUR TO LOVE

Related Posts with Thumbnails
.