THE POWER OF APPRECIATION

Posted by Unknown On Saturday, April 4, 2009 4 comments
Have you ever had something taken away from you only to realize how much you appreciated it after it was gone? I have. My father.

Dad passed away almost 18 months ago and as the days pass by, I still think of him. I can almost smell his scent and his hair cream and having just celebrated my mother-in-law's birthday has made me think of dad again. And made me think of life and death.

More importantly, I know that coping with loss of a loved one is something that has always been an issue with me. Tomorrow is the official day for Qing Ming and I will be going to offer flowers to my parents at the colombarium alone because hubby and son are going to Amy's funeral because I find it very difficult to attend funerals since dad died. I hope I will be ok at the colombarium and after that it will be to the hospital where my uncle is recovering from another heart attack.

Most of us have taken someone or something for granted. We only truly realize how much that person or situation meant to us after they are gone and by then, it is far, far, far too late

Looking back, I only have one regret. That I did not love dad enough and did not spend enough time with him. I was so busy with work and my own family that he took second place in my life.

It is difficult to write about this without having a lump in my throat. Know what I mean? Now looking back, there are many things I realize …

We often waste way too much of our time and energy focusing on what we don’t like, what we’re worried about, or what we think needs to be fixed, changed, or enhanced. We live in a culture obsessed with “bad stuff.” Just turn on the news, listen to the conversations and negative attitudes of the people around you, or pay attention to the thoughts in your own head.

Presently, I have started paying attention to what and whom I love and appreciate.

Imagine how this simple but profound shift could transform our lives, our families, our relationships, our results, our work groups, our communities, and more. Our experience is a function of what we focus on. Each and every moment, we have a choice about where we place our attention.

I am not advocating that we deny, avoid, or run from the challenges, issues, or even the pain in our lives or around us. It’s important that we’re able to confront, face, and deal with these difficulties. However, we don’t have to obsess about the bad stuff and let it run us. We each can consciously choose to focus on the good stuff in our lives, with others, and most importantly towards ourselves.

I know for sure that there are great things happening in our lives and around us all the time — if we choose to look for them.

Losing dad has been a life transforming experience because now, I live a life filled with appreciation.

1) I have learnt to be grateful - I focus on the many blessings in my life and all that I have to be thankful for.

2) Instead of being negative and moody, now I focus on positive thoughts and feelings into ones that empower me.

3) I try to use positive words - I pay attention to the words I use with others, about things, and in speaking about myself. I try to speak with the most positive words possible. Our words have the power to create, not just describe.

4) I try to acknowledge others - We can focus on what we appreciate about the people around us and let them know. Be genuine and let others know the positive impact they have on us and our lives.

5) Now, I make an effort to appreciate myself - Having lost my mom when I was 11 years old, it was kind of tough to love myself as a teen when I felt so lost without her. Thankfully, I coped and now, even when others hammer me or insult me, I do not let it get to me but I move on to celebrate who I am, what I do, and the many gifts and talents I have.

To me, self-appreciation is not arrogance; it’s an awareness of my own power and the key to self-confidence, success, and fulfillment.

When we truly focus on this good stuff, our world transforms and we are able to see and experience the GREAT FULLNESS of our lives.

We don’t have to wait until everything is handled.

We don’t have to wait until we get it all perfect.

And, we don’t have to wait for people to do things exactly as we want them to.

We can start appreciating life, others, and ourselves exactly as we are, right now.

Don’t wait ’til it’s too late! Let’s live life and appreciate it and appreciate others!

And you know what? I truly appreciate that you are reading this post of mine, that you have taken the time to visit my blog. I do not know who you are but I pray that God will bless you and that somehow, somewhere within my blog, you can find something that speaks to your heart, soul or spirit.

Thanks again...Take care and do leave a comment if you like.

4 comments to THE POWER OF APPRECIATION

  1. says:

    mamasita Hai Paula.
    What a very touching post! So very true and my heart is almost to tears.
    Thanks Paula for the beautiful reminders!
    May God Bless You too.

  1. says:

    Unknown Hi Mamasita,

    It is so lovely to see you here again..Thanks for your heartfelt comment and I am glad my post touched you. I was almost in tears when typing it....

    Take care and hugs to you!

  1. says:

    Pill Pusher Masterwordsmith.. of all this time i thought you were a guy :) - my bad

    That's a touching entry, may you find happiness in this world.

    "as with many other things in this world, life is both fragile and beautiful'

    take care

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Tranquility,

    Thanks for popping by and for your comment.

    It is great news to me that you thought I am a guy because it might mean that my writing is non-gender in nature :-).

    Very wise words...life is both fragile and beautiful, a real paradox indeed!

    Take care and God bless you...

    cheers

Related Posts with Thumbnails
.