SO EXCITED ABOUT MY SAX LESSONS!!!

Posted by Unknown On Tuesday, May 25, 2010 16 comments
I am so excited!!! I just cannot contain my excitement and I have been so hyper ever since I came home. Earlier, I had lunch with my old friend Patrick Tan and then I headed to a music store to service one of my guitars and to restring it plus buy a new case.

Originally, I wanted to get another acoustic guitar and had selected Custom Acoustic FG28E Dreadnought which comes with a build-in pickup tuner and equalizer and had also selected an amplifier to go with it.

Just as I was about to leave the store, I casually asked to see their range of saxophones. I had always longed to learn a brass instrument. So the proprietor showed me an alto saxophone and then a soprano saxophone. He said that I should get a soprano sax but I don't like the sound and in my heart opted for the alto saxophone.

Mr. Lim was kind enough to make introduce a teacher and I drove immediately to the music school and spoke to the owner and after that to the instructor!!!

I am so so so so excited!!! I will be starting my lessons next week and Ican't believe that at my age I am going to be a music student again. I play the piano and guitar and was a disaster at the flute so I hope my saxophone classes will be ok. Years ago, I gave keyboard and guitar lessons and composed lots of music, one of which has been recorded in an album (blogged about it last year) and I am trying to get in touch with a few music publishers to sell my music :-).

So I hope this new foray in the world of brass marks a rejuvenation of my musical roots! I think some of you may not know that if I could do it again, I would choose to be a musician and then a writer :-)....the bohemian mws emerges today.

Of course I will not give up blogging. Never will.....:-) This post is an outlet to release my excitement and exuberance because I have always wanted to learn how to play the saxophone, thanks to Kenny G etc. My sons are also very musical. My older boy, a final year contemporary music student in university is in the semi-finals of a talent competition this weekend and I am also so excited about that.

Ok. That's all for now. If you are in Penang, please head to the Chinese Town Hall tonight @ 8pm for a forum on the Sibu by-election. Penang CM, Tunku Aziz, Dr. Dzulkefly and many others will be there. Next post will be up in two to three hours after I finish surfing the net. Have a nice day!

16 comments to SO EXCITED ABOUT MY SAX LESSONS!!!

  1. says:

    Anonymous Music is not just for children, hehe!
    Have fun!

  1. says:

    Penangite Exiled blogger Raja Petra Kamarudin says that Prime Minister Najib Tun Razak will be toppled by forces within Umno if he continues to press forward with his 1Malaysia concept at the expense of “Ketuanan Melayu”.

    ~~ Free Malaysia Today

    Any comments?

  1. says:

    Catherine You play the piano.
    You play the guitar.
    And now you are going to play the saxophone.
    Your sons are also very musical.

    Great! Hopefully, we will be heading to the Chinese Town Hall to watch your family concert soon.

    May my dream come true!

  1. says:

    Nerdcore Fishfoot Yaaaaay!
    I'm kind of holding my flute as I type this... somehow...

    I hear the fingering keys aren't so different, saxophone and flute, but at least with sax you blow through a mouthpiece with a reed.

    My mom hasn't been keeping up with the political updates, and I'm barely on track with what's happening in Malaysia and the world, thanks to assignments - and the test next Monday!

    Music is life. :D
    Here's wishing you well, Kak MWS, and have fun with your new musical adventure ^-^
    Hugs and salam,
    Nerdcore Fishfoot.

  1. says:

    KoSong Cafe Would love to jam with you, Antares, Jeff Ooi, Elizabeth Wong, and so on, on an impromptu basis, like at a place with all the right instruments. Simply because I am not a proper musician but play by ear. More at home with drums (easier to bullshit without music sheet which I cannot read) and can strum songs which has simpler chords.

    My musical instruments have kept me sane all these years, and yes, the blogging is a godsend for me to let off steam.

    Mr Lim of Do re mi? If so, he is my school junior. Just a long shot.

    Cheers.

  1. says:

    Kampung Girl "If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music. I get most joy in life out of music."

    ~~ Albert Einstein

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Anon @ 4.01pm

    Thanks! I am sure I am the oldest student he has had. My older boy teaches the violin and his oldest student is a grandmother! Way to go!!!

    Cheers

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Penangite

    The writing is already on the wall and signs are showing that there are those from within who are not too happy with some of the reforms...The next couple of months will be pretty interesting. What do you think?

    Thanks for sharing this quotation.

    Cheers

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Catherine

    Wow! Thanks for such a lovely and encouraging comment. I hope that will happen one day and when it does, please introduce yourself to me! I would want to meet you and thank you in person for all the goodness, inspiration and wisdom you have been injecting into my blog.

    God bless you always, Catherine.

    Warmest wishes

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Sweetheart Fishfoot

    My teacher called me and asked me why I gave up on the flute LOL!!! He wants to hear me play the flute before he starts teaching me how to play the saxaphone. This guy plays the flute, sax and the clarinet! I am so jealous.

    Yes, music IS life. I have been playing the guitar every night and my piano after that hehehe singing away and imagining I am giving a private recital. Poor neighbours LOL!!! But I close all the windows and the doors haha!!

    Take care, work hard and let't catch up after your exams ok?

    Miss ya!

    hugs and salams

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear KoSong Cafe

    What a lovely thought! I belong to a forum and we have also talked about jamming - perhaps one day in KL!

    I tried learning the drums before. VERY DIFFICULT!!! The best I could do was to improvise on my Roland synthesiser. I believe the drum is the lead instrument next to the keyboard and is very difficult to master.

    Glad we have the same inclinations. No wonder I enjoy your blog! I finally found a blogger who also blogs like I do haha!

    I dunno if Mr Lim was of Do Re Mi but I will ask him when I pick up my guitar. If you are in KL, do catch my boy performing at the Curve this weekend.

    Take care and thanks for sharing!

    Cheers

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Kampung Girl

    Thanks for that inspiring quotation! Take care and have a lovely evening.

    Cheers

  1. says:

    Anonymous Music was not my cup of tea and neither it is now. Anyway, did get my daughter to learn piano from age 10 and she in grade 8 for theory and grade 6 for pratical. Just got her a morrison guitar today for her to learn guitar too.

    Ah ha, what the father can't do, get the child to follow through, mah. Well, as for me I could played almost all of the school games from softball, hockey, basketball, football, table tennis, carrom, badminton etc. Snooker and billiard are also the social game but ended up as jack of many but master of none.

    To this day, I ended up with only badminton, which is twice a week. We used to think that by having games once or twice a week will keep us healthy and fit but in reality we must be fit first before embarking on games. Injuries abound for people not fit to get into the game proper. For badmainton, we must be fit first and foremost otherwise the "handover" is painful with knees and joints screaming for attention the nect day.

    We are never too old to learn and as long as one enjoy doing what they are good at and are doing it with purpose and passion, nothing else is more important than that. Just go for it and with your musical talent, it will not be too difficult a task. Hope to hear of your recording one of this day.
    ~ahoo~

  1. says:

    Anonymous Dear MWS,

    Can you give some free advice?

    I have never played any musical instruments before ( i am aged 53 now). Suddenly i have an unexplainable urge to play the saxaphone. I have gone window shopping and ask many questions, but it makes me more confused.So till now i still haven't buy my sax yet.

    What would you recommend me...an alto or soprano or whatever?

    I want to play the sax for my own enjoyment and the once-in-a-blue-moon jamming.

    I am more into lively happy music, maybe a bit of Kenny G..hehehe.

    Looking forward to your advice !!

    God Bless You.

    **ps: So sorry i have to remain anonymous even when asking for advice !

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear ahoo

    I am so sorry that I forgot to respond to your comment till today. Getting old already (me that is!).

    Definitely we are not too old to learn.

    If I get to see you one day, I will give you a cd of my music :-) - gospel music...

    Take care and have a blessed life!

    Cheers

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Anon @ 12.25pm

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts and aspirations...I am just abt to start learning the sax so I can share very little with you :-). My main instrument is the synthesiser, piano and guitar.

    As I do not know if you are male or female, I have to give very general advice.

    In terms of weight, the tenor sax is the heaviest so that is out if you are female.

    If you are male, the soprano sax may sound too thin and weak for you so that is out.

    Regardless of whether you are male/female, the alto sax is the best because of the range, sound, price and versatility.

    If you have a good ear for music, can pick up tunes easily and can sing in pitch, then it is easy to learn without having any formal training or lessons in music theory.

    I play the piano by ear - jazz and contemp style and am absolutely horrible with classical :-). Picked up the guitar when I was 11 and that gave me a good start in music.

    Another consideration would be your stamina and breath. You need more strength and stamina to play the sax than the flute. Many sax players have breathing/chest problems...so that has to be a consideration...ie not suitable for asthma patients.For the sax,you have to blow through a reed...kind of tough but ok. :-)

    If you are very creative too ie in improvisation of tunes such as what Kenny G does etc, sax would be ideal if all else are ok.

    The range could be as cheap as 1500rm and the sky is the limit haha!

    Good luck to you! May you derive hours and hours of enjoyment and therapy from music!

    Take care and do keep in touch!

    Cheers

Related Posts with Thumbnails
.