FOR A REASON, SEASON OR ANY RHYME WITHOUT REASON?

Posted by Unknown On Monday, June 28, 2010 10 comments
Did you ever watch "Funny Girl" (1964) in your younger days? If you did, perhaps you might know the song "People". "People" is a well-known song, written by Jule Styne (composer) and Bob Merrill (lyricist) for the Broadway musical Funny Girl (1964) starring Barbra Streisand, who sang the song. Its most famous line is from its chorus, "People who need people....". This song has been recorded by Dionne Warwick, Jack Jones, Richard Clayderman, Perry Como, The Supremes and others, but is most closely associated with Streisand as her signature song.

With the passing of time, I cannot help but realize how much I have changed in my life. I reckon the biggest change that I have experienced is in the area of human relationships. Once upon a time, I used to make friends easily and was a very sociable person, having guests at my house, going out a lot and doing lots of stuff. A couple of experiences changed my perspective and the way I connected with people.

And then I slowly withdrew into my shell...into the world of blogging - a safe, secure world where I could express my thoughts and feelings. Those who know me from days gone are quite shocked that I have since become very reclusive, quiet and reserved.

What is it about human relationships that can be so complicated? If one is too caring, the recipient runs away. If one is too cold, where does it leave us? The older one gets, the more complicated life becomes because one may realize that people are not what they seem to be. Where then do we draw the line of how real we should be?

I guess I am blessed in that blogging has brought a few real friends into my life - strangely, friends whom I may not have met before and some who became real friends even before we met. That is one of the blessings of blogging that I have experienced in the last one and a half years.

Only time can tell who are our real friends. Sometimes, one can be a friend only for a season, for a reason. Perhaps I am being an idealist to hope and dream that my friends can be in my life for all seasons. Yet, with the many hard knocks in life and various disappointments, I have come to grips with this fact that people are complex and confusing creatures who can be warm and also cold, unlike dogs or other pets who are warm, kind and loving all the time.

I have come to accept that each person is different and I should just cherish the moment for what it is. Unlike before, I no longer get all emo when I lose a friend or if they choose to stay away or remain passive. I treasure the moments shared and move on. All these emotions that have been going through my mind brought to remembrance two songs - People and Alfie, both sung by Barbra Streisand.

The song "People" asserts that "people who need people" — that is, people who love others and are not emotionally cut off from them — are the "luckiest people in the world". I guess I am lucky then, by this definition, because I have not hardened by heart to love others and still have the capacity to love even though it is not as easy as it used to be.....CLICK HERE for Barbara Streisand's beautiful rendition of "People".

People

People who need people
Are the luckiest people in the world
We're children needing other children
And yet letting our grown-up pride
Hide all the need inside
Acting more like children than children
Lovers
Are very special people
They're the luckiest people in the world
With one person,
One very special person
A feeling deep in your soul
Says you are half now you're whole
No more hunger and thirst
But first be a person who needs people
People, people who need people
Are the luckiest people in the world.

With one person
One very special person
A feeling deep in your soul
Says you are half now you're whole
No more hunger and thirst
But first be a person who needs people
People, people who need people
Are the luckiest people in the world.



And here's Alfie, written by Burt Bacharach, a song that has truly taught me LOTS about people....and I wish to dedicate it to all my blog readers, especially those who have become dear friends and who have taught me so much about life, giving, politics and what it means to be a friend...you guys have restored in me hope and faith that yes, things can get better....

CLICK HERE for Joss Stone's version of Alfie.

What's it all about, Alfie?
Is it just for the moment we live?
What's it all about when you sort it out, Alfie?
Are we meant to take more than we give
or are we meant to be kind?
And if only fools are kind, Alfie,
then I guess it's wise to be cruel.
And if life belongs only to the strong, Alfie,

What will you lend on an old golden rule?
As sure as I believe there's a heaven above, Alfie,
I know there's something much more,
something even non-believers can believe in.
I believe in love, Alfie.
Without true love we just exist, Alfie.
Until you find the love you've
missed you're nothing, Alfie.
When you walk let your heart lead the way
and you'll find love any day, Alfie, Alfie.


Click HERE for Barbara Streisand's definitive version of Alfie or HERE for Cilla Black's Live recording of Alfie (which I find rather rough) and OVER HERE for the ORIGINAL Alfie sung with so much haunting sadness by Cher!!

Finally, here's something for all of you, especially for all my regular readers, friends and former students...

People come into your life for a reason, a season or a lifetime. When you know which one it is, you will know what to do for that person.

When someone is in your life for a REASON, it is usually to meet a need you have expressed. They have come to assist you through a difficulty, to provide you with guidance and support, to aid you physically, emotionally or spiritually. They may seem like a godsend and they are. They are there for the reason you need them to be.

Then, without any wrongdoing on your part or at an inconvenient time, this person will say or do something to bring the relationship to an end. Sometimes they die.

Sometimes they walk away. Sometimes they act up and force you to take a stand. What we must realize is that our need has been met, our desire fulfilled, their work is done. The prayer you sent up has been answered and now it is time to move on.

Some people come into your life for a SEASON, because your turn has come to share, grow or learn. They bring you an experience of peace or make you laugh. They may teach you something you have never done. They usually give you an unbelievable amount of joy. Believe it, it is real. But only for a season.!

LIFETIME relationships teach you lifetime lessons, things you must build upon in order to have a solid emotional foundation. Your job is to accept the lesson, love the person and put what you have learned to use in all other relationships and areas of your life. It is said that love is blind but friendship is clairvoyant .

* Thank you for being a part of my life, whether you were a reason, a season but I hope it will be for a lifetime, for all seasons! Indeed, in this cruel world, true friends are treasures to be cherished.

10 comments to FOR A REASON, SEASON OR ANY RHYME WITHOUT REASON?

  1. says:

    Cat-from-Sydney Aunty Paula,
    "... I have come to grips with this fact that people are complex and confusing creatures who can be warm and also cold, unlike dogs or other pets who are warm, kind and loving all the time."
    How very true! That's what we've been advocating all along. Cats are warm, kind and loving all the time. It's called UNCONDITIONAL LOVE!!! har har har *evil laughs*

  1. says:

    Donplaypuks® Hi MWS

    Sorry to digress.

    I think as many as possible should act to stop a miscarriage of justice from taking place in the MACC vs Rosli Dahlan case as reported by Din Merican here.

    It appears some crooks have manipulated a change of judge in the midst of the trial with ominous implications for Rosli.

    Trust you can highlight it as a separate blog to give it max publicity!.

    Thank you.

    dpp
    we are all of 1 race, the Human Race

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Angelina and Brad

    Honestly, very few can give unconditional love...like pets can- and like the two of you can give most easily.

    Thanks for being who you are - and I appreciate our friendship LOTS.

    Take care and have a great week!

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear DPP

    Yes, I agree with you and will try to do a post on this. Hope you will do so in your suave and sassy style :-). Take care and thanks for swinging by.

    Have a great week.

    Cheers

  1. says:

    KoSong Cafe Thanks for taking the trouble to express your personal feelings which I can identify with.

    If we were to take into account that 'we cannot choose our relatives, but thank God, we can choose our friends' then it gets even trickier. Eg. Family protocol insists that you invite all for an event, but within the family, you find some who are not friendly (to put it politely), it can spoil an otherwise happy occasion.

  1. says:

    edward Dear MWS,

    Strangely we share the same admiration for 2 great icons in the entertainment industry - Barbara S and B Bacharach. IMO nobody sings "People" as well as Streisand or for that matter "Somewhere". As for Burt Bacharach, I own 15 of his records and about 20 of his CDs. His songs are so timeless. His music is in my car, office and home. I have listened to his music since I was 13 when a new friend presented me with 2 of his records! My dream is to attend his concert and I think one is planned in Sydney end of the year.

    Someone once told me that friendship is like a bus journey. People hop in and out of our lives. Some will leave sweet memories behind whilst others, bitter and sad ones. I have learnt to let go of the sad memories because its like a bottomless sandpit that may sink one into depression. I have discarded old friendships that to me no longer hold any more deep meaning. I welcome friends who are consistent, caring and benevolent. If I find them in my lifetime its a bonus. If not I still have Streisand and Bacharach to keep me sane haha. Take care.

    Blessings.

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear KoSong Cafe

    Thanks for resonating with this post. Actually, I forgot about the whole question of relatives and family until you brought it up. And then I remember many things ...:-)

    Take care and thanks for sharing so sincerely. Have a blessed week.

    Warmest wishes

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Edward

    That is because we grew up in the 1970's! In the past, I used to be very upset when I lost a friend but now, I look at it positively and cherish the memories.

    This is specially dedicated to you:

    http://www.scribd.com/full/2988808?access_key=key-7p1oy5pe5jbxuawsx2g

    Life on a Train - my favorite set of slides. Each time I watch it, I still cry....sentimental old lady - that is me haha!

    Indeed oldies that mean so much truly keep us sane. They don't write music like Bacharach used to! Unfortunately, I gave away all my Bacharach vinyls :-(....Must start collecting them again...I have almost all of Streisands cds...with the exception of the latest release and I reckon my fav is Streisand singing Braodway!

    Take care and see you again one day!

    God bless and keep you and yours always.

  1. says:

    edward Dear MWS,

    Thank you for the Life On A Train slides. Its truly a humbling and touching lesson on life's journey, so full of wisdom and beautiful insight. I think this was what my friend was trying to say to me. Thank you so much for this enlightenment.

    Blessings.

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Edward

    It is a pleasure to share it with you. Actually, you can watch it on youtube with the music...an even more emotional experience!

    Take care and enjoy the journey!

    Blessings to you and yours too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
.