DO WE REALLY HAVE TO ASK?

Posted by Unknown On Monday, July 5, 2010 16 comments
Many women, myself included, yearn for more attention, more help with the kids, more hugs, more romance, more surprises, more time together, more intimacy and more and more in our lives. When in a silly mood, I dream of having a maid to do most if not all of my household chores and a chauffeur to take my son to and fro his classes.



And I do ask my better half and my son almost everyday..."Do you love me?" :-) I believe that many women yearn for more but seldom ask.

“But I shouldn’t have to ask” is the refrain I’ve heard many times when I ask my friends if they do ask their family members.

I reckon that could be a false belief that may cause unexpressed pain, deep suffering and even rage or frustration - a scenario which could possibly lead to quarrels. It is quite an absurd situation because unless our spouse is psychic, he/she won’t know what we want unless we ask!

It’s that simple!

In my younger days, I used to feel that my better half was not expressive because he did not love me haha! Older and wiser, I realize that if our spouses are not that expressive,it doesn’t necessarily mean they don’t love us! It is just that they just have their own map of the world and can be caught up with their own way of thinking and experiencing the world. On a lighter note, and it just means they haven’t fully developed their psychic powers enough yet!

Just as the genie in Aladdin's lamp couldn’t grant me any of my wishes if I didn’t tell him what they were, I realize that my better half can’t try to guess either. Thus, our partners can’t fulfil our wishes, dreams or needs if they don’t know what they are! So we have to tell them. :-)

I learnt lots from the book Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus by John Gray. We really have to spell out what we want/need but within limits of course! It is an excellent book which contains many suggestions for improving relationships between men and women through understanding the communication style and emotional needs of the opposite sex. John Gray argues that men and women are as different as beings from other planets, and that learning the code of conduct of the opposite sex is of essential value even if individuals do not necessarily conform to the stereotypical behaviour.

So the line “If you really loved me, I wouldn’t have to ask” is not really a valid claim.

I should know because my better half and I are so different and after thirty three years of being together, I know that he loves me to bits but his idea of a good night out is a herbal tea and a Chinese meal while mine is white wine and smoked salmon. :-) Still, we have our fair share of herbal tea, wine, Chinese and Western cuisine.

Well, it was not easy to reach Peaceville :-). Like what I wrote in previous posts, we used to fight so much in the early years but time has a way of binding us together in love and understanding. It has been many years since we last fought. Finally, I am enjoying the lessons learnt from mistakes and am learning to communicate specifically with my loved ones. No more hints or guessing games.

Now, I encourage my better half to respond in the way I’d like him to by asking questions and not expecting him to be a mind reader. Now, if I want a romantic evening, I ask for it. If I want to go hiking, I invite him to join me :-).

Gone are the days when I used to nag, whine, complain or criticize. If only I had learnt earlier to just simply, pleasantly, cheerfully and respectfully ask. I would have spared myself and my family lots of painful episodes. I've learnt precious lessons from the decades of being together - not to tell or boss or make unreasonable demands but just to ask. That simple process can open up a whole new world where love, harmony and memorable moments can begin. I believe the same principle applies in other relationships....

And why am I writing this today? I have been reflecting loads about life - what I have been through the past years, lessons learnt, how I have changed and where I am heading in my twilight years. Each day when I go to bed, I thank God for life, my family and all I had been through that day. And when I wake up, I am thankful for yet another day that I am alive, to have my family to love and to cherish and to truly seize the day before the dusk sets in and my life comes to an end. So here's wishing you and yours a blessed week and love, joy, peace and happiness everyday of your life.

16 comments to DO WE REALLY HAVE TO ASK?

  1. says:

    Hafiz b Shukor Action speaks louder than words...

  1. says:

    KoSong Cafe One silly question: have you been married 33 years? Your elder son is only 21? Just wondering because I have been married 34 years and my son is already 32!

    As to re-assurance of love, I should be glad if I did not get retorts instead!

  1. says:

    Anonymous This question is a tough one leh. If you don't ask how would your spouse know ? At times, we even forget our own birthday and how to remember the anniversary ???

    Man was never meant to be an island, keeping everything to himself. We were never meant to be some Lone Ranger, wearing a mask to cover up our identity. God made us to need a share life. But sadly, a lot of us men have somewhere bought the lie that manhood means keeping your deepest feelings to yourself.

    It takes two to tango and it takes both husband and wife to make a sound family. Without which the children will be brought up in an environment of constant fear not knowing when the battle of silence will be over.

    There is no perfect solution for a perfect family but in all that we do there must always be mutual respect for each other. Sacrificial love and willingness to forgive will be another milestone for a sound family.

    Let the children be won over in the early years in a secured family and they in turn will turn out to be fine men and women. For the word FAMILY can stand for :

    Father And Mother I Love You. What a joy that will be if every children can express it to their parents. But of course the parents must first earn that right by being a loving couple and living out their lives as example for the children.

    Let us not scar their life and break their heart with our selfish fights over our rights. But show them that they are always loved no matter what issue ther are within the family.

    So, do we really have to ask ? Of course we do, ask and it shall be given and let it be the timeless truth,.......
    ~ahoo~

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Saudara Hafiz

    Very true. Still, if there is no action, :-) instead of suffering in silence, we can ask...:-).

    Here's wishing you and yours a lifetime of loving, sharing and caring.

    Take care and do keep in touch.

    Salam

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear KoSong Cafe

    My spouse and I were steady for 6.5 years before we got married and have been married for 27 years so that is a total of 33.5 years :-).

    Initially, we did not want to have any children as I was so scared of childbirth :-) so that is the reason why my older boy is 21 and the younger one is 11+.

    I do regret having kids much later and wish I had 4 kids instead of two!

    Take care and may you and yours have a lifetime of loving, caring and sharing.

    Have a blessed week!

    Cheers

  1. says:

    Patrick T Well written Paula! We go through stages in life and at some stage, we like to reflect upon what we have done and about life itself!

    I can truly understand how you feel when you wrote this post. As I have written before that Marriage is the hardest vocation in this World and every second of the day we must work at improving our relationship in general and also, with all the people around us!

    You must recognize that marriage is a joint venture, mostly to have kids and a happy family as well, but we are still individuals and have our likes and dislikes which are different. So we must respect each other and try our best to work out through times to cater for differences by "Give and take" attitudes!

    Nothing is permanent, we must build our marriage foundation strongly when we signed that marriage certificate! Good luck and be happy!

  1. says:

    Don't Ask how to get "Yes, I love you" from your spouse/partner.

    1. In the kitchen, ask him when you have a meat chopper in your right hand. Smile.

    2. In the dining room, ask while holding his plate of rice in your left and a bottle of rat poison in your right. Smile.

    3. In the living room, ask while holding the remote in your left hand and a hammer in your right. Smile.

    4. In the bedroom, ask while he is next to you on the bed and you're holding a pair of scissors. Smile... evilly...

    Be warned : your spouse/partner might run/faint/scream depending on his (lack of) sense of humour.

    For a more accurate way of what happens inside our brains, I would recommend this book. Its a pretty good read.

    "If Men Could Talk..." by Alon Gratch

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear ahoo

    Wow! That is really a beautiful and moving comment. Many thanks for sharing from your heart and the depths of your experiences. Having met you and your wife, I can vouch that indeed you practise what you preach and you are blessed with a loving and close-knitted family.

    Here's praying that the Lord will bless you and yours all the days of your life and meet your needs beyond your dreams.

    Shalom

  1. says:

    Anonymous Our son 'loved' us very much till he is in a relationship ....sighs !!

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Patrick

    Many thanks for your kind and encouraging comment. Having known you for over twenty years now, I am well aware that you practise what you have written here and am always encouraged by your wonderful family and philosophical writings, not forgetting the calm, forgiving and kind spirit that you have.

    May you and yours have many more years of ecstatic marital bliss and many grandchildren too! :-)

    Take care and God bless you and yours always.

    Cheers

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Don't Ask

    I just love your comment haha!! Thanks so much for sharing the humor in these lines and also for the recommendation of that book. I will check it out the next time I am at the bookshop.

    Have you ever read Allan and Barbara Pease's book called "Why Men don't Listen and Women Can't read maps?" It is also very witty, wicked and yet has many lessons for us...

    Take care and do keep in touch! Wishing you a lifetime of love, joy and fulfilment with your loved ones.

    Cheers

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Anon @ 5.37pm

    Don't worry, dear Anon. Let him settle down and then in time, make friends with his girlfriend...and things will surely take a turn for the better.

    Life is not easy. When we were young, we worried about our education, then career, then dating, then marriage, then kids and their education. When they grow up, we worry about their career, life partner, marriage and then we worry about their children.

    It is not easy to let go of our kids. My son has been away from home since 2007 and even now as I write this, I have tears in my eyes as I miss him so much and always wish I had had more loving times with him when he was younger.

    Bringing up kids is like making pancakes. We mess up with the first one and the next one gets better and better :-). But the important thing is for us to cherish our family members, to love and to accept them....

    Truly, it is not easy to let go. Took me years lah to really let go and now that I have, sometimes, once in a while, I reach out to pull him back but then I realize, sighs, he is a big boy now...sob sob and I have to let go....And i have a great relationship with him now...No more smothering him :-)...

    *tears*

    Take care and may God bless you and yours with love, unity and harmony

    Best wishes

  1. says:

    Dont Ask Dear MWS,

    you are welcome and thanks for the recommendation of the other book too, will check it out the next time i visit MPH. btw, i got my copy of IMCT at MPH midvalley.

    have a nice week ahead =)

  1. says:

    Anonymous Even married people were once strangers. Therefore, without patience and the effort to understand one another, things are likely not to go well. We need patience in order to become happy.


    There are many who dream about experiencing happiness without the patience. But that is a dream. And a dream is just that--a dream, a fairy tale. It is to wish for a childish, easy life. This illusion breaks up many marriages. The pursuit of such happiness can only make one miserable.


    It is important to make the effort to calmly construct something together. From there, real love develops. Real marriage is when you have been married for twenty-five years and feel an even deeper love than you did when you first met. Love deepens. Love that does not is merely on the level of simple likes and dislikes.

    ~~ Daisaku Ikeda

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Don't ask

    You are most welcome. Great to hear from you again. Do stay in touch. God bless you and yours always.

    Have a blessed week!

    Cheers

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Anon

    Thank you for sharing such beautiful and powerful thoughts from Daisaku Ikeda to inspire and to guide us. The thoughts are pragmatic and indeed full of wisdom and inspiration. Do take care and please stay in touch. It is lovely to hear from you again.

    Best wishes

Related Posts with Thumbnails
.