Embracing Kindness In Unexpected Places

Posted by Unknown On Saturday, September 18, 2010 10 comments
The manner in which the MSM and alternative media report political conflict gives the impression that we are living in a cold, impersonal world that does not revel in acts of kindness.



For a long time, I have observed that kindness seems to be a rare gem that few can find easily today. We read about gruesome murders that could have been committed by serial killers. There is the tragic death of TBH that left a baby without a father and a widow without the man she loves. Then there are the students who are scarred by statements from those who are in positions of authority. When we weave our way round the streets of town, the random honking of road hogs or the sudden braking of the car in front of us to take revenge for others honking from behind are evidence of the stark scarcity of kindness in society today. Far too often, many tend to say words that hurt and break rather than build and give hope.

A friend of mine who had an operation recently related how she had to hobble her way at the airport to find a trolley for her luggage before she reached the check-in counter where she had already arranged for wheelchair assistance. While on crutches, she had to push two bags and no one helped her until a young man came and offered his assistance.

Honestly, don't you love being on the receiving end of acts of kindness? I am sure you would agree with me when I say that simple acts of caring can make our day! Such kindness can encourage, inspire, support and uplift us, especially on a bad day.

At the same time, we should also try to give acts of kindness by offering encouragement, inspiration, support and uplifting words to those who are feeling down.

Today, I embraced kindness in the most unexpected place.

After picking up my younger boy from his last BM tuition class that had been specially arranged to give them a boost of confidence for the UPSR next Tuesday, I headed to the nearby coffee shop in front of Chung Hwa Confucian High School where we had wan tan noodles for lunch.

Following that, I walked to the road divider where an old man was selling local cakes. He reminded me so much of my late father so I started talking to him while I made my selection of an assortment of chye kuih, 'malaikoh' and yam cake (had to stock up as when under pre-exam stress, my younger boy tends to have a voracious appetite).

My eyes fell upon a tray of nyonya style curry puffs. These are different from ordinary curry puffs as the pastry has the shell design on it in concentric circles, the preparation of which is a tedious process as it entails different methods of rolling the pastry. I learnt it in my younger days but never practised what I learnt as I feel it is more convenient to buy than to prepare it on my own.

"Are these curry puffs good?" I asked him with a smile.

"Yes, many come back to buy and there are those who order these for their parties," was his gracious reply.

"It's three for RM2 but 70 cents each." he continued.

"I'll take three then," I responded.

"Here, I'm giving you one as a present," said the old gentleman.

I was completely stunned. In a world where a smile is seldom seen, where drivers cut lanes and people raise their voices at hawkers who forgot to put more chillies etc, here was an old gentleman whom I had never ever met before who actually gave me a free curry puff. The total for my kuih was RM5 and I told him that I would pay for that extra curry puff.

"It is a present," he said. In fact, the actual words he used were "Wah sang lu chiak".

I had a lump in my throat and had to hold back my tears. His random act of kindness truly touched me deeply.

"Kam sia, Uncle," I replied.

Often times, we read about stinginess and calculativeness in people but here is an old man who still has to work to earn a living, one whom I had never met before and who had so much joy and a happy glow on his face.

He just went on to tell me about his work and how selling cakes made him happy. As I stood there listening to him, other customers came, presumably his regulars asking for this and that. One even asked if he would have those stuff in the evening and he said he only sold at about 7 each evening on school days.

As I walked towards my car, I wished in my heart that our citizens, especially politicians, would partake in more random acts of kindness to make the world a better place instead of shooting one salvo after another.

May you be an instrument of peace and kindness each day of your life. Take care and have a pleasant evening. Next post will be up at 6 a.m. tomorrow. Good night.

10 comments to Embracing Kindness In Unexpected Places

  1. says:

    mokja In time of needs,on various occasions,I was helped by people different from my ethnic group.I wrote about them in my blog.The officer who helped me when my car broke down and the lorry driver who 'reprimanded' my husband were my angels.
    I could never thank them enough.

  1. says:

    Captain Obvious Dear masterwordsmith,

    Yep, in this case I really do pathetic, pretty unbelievable... 8) Thank you for the reminder that life is really not that complicated after all, salute!!!

    Cheer!

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear mokjadeandell

    Great to hear from you again. Yes, I remember reading those blog posts where you related the incidents. Sometimes, these 'angels' soften our hearts and make us look at life and people differently.

    Take care and have a great day! Do keep in touch.

    Salam

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Captain Obvious

    It's great to hear from you again!

    Such heart-melting moments remind us of the intricacies of life and how precious are these...

    Take care and have a great day! Do keep in touch.

    Cheers!

  1. says:

    JustTruth Thank you for sharing a simple yet profound experience. Hv to agree with you that society in general has "lost" sight of what is of real importance in life.

    I was checking out some pro-umno websites + was so disheartened at the lies they are churning out! Totally disgusting + depressing.

    Your website is really unique and "wholesome".

    And congratulations for a beautiful new "look"! Your perseverance and hard work paid off.

    Take care + Blessing to you + family esp your little boy in his coming UPSR. (hee hee hee)

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Just Truth

    Thank you so much for such a sincere and encouraging comment. I appreciate your input and blessing for my junior. It is my pleasure to share.

    Blogging has given me tremendous satisfaction because as a homemaker, I live a very reclusive live and if I did not blog, I would vegetate mentally! This pursuit has taught me many things and blessed me with new friends and broadened my perspective besides humbling me each day with the knowledge that there is so much that I still do not know...

    Yes, I know what you mean by those sites. I only visit a few sites daily and of course, my usual dose of news portals to keep abreast with what is happening. This way, I keep saner :-).

    Glad you like the new look :-). Indeed, I am glad I persevered en though it was tough as I am not IT savvy at all.

    Take care and God bless you and yours always. Please keep in touch.

    Have a great week ahead!

    Shalom

  1. says:

    Anonymous We reap what we sow and whatever little that we give to bless others will return back to us in many folds. I remembered when I was a little boy about the age of 7 or 8 and was out swimming in the river. We will all dive from the bridge which is quite deep and swim out further until the shallow area and walk by the river side and back to the bridge.

    Been there quite a few times already and one day while attempting the same routine, my foot was caught in the swampy mud as I attempt to walk up the river bank. At that moment of panic, with one foot stuck and trying to save myself from drowning using all my effort and the other foot, it was just futile.

    Thank God that within our group was a teenager who was over 15 year old. He saw me struggling from the bridge, jump in and swam towards me and drag me to the side of the river. For that he saved my life and I am forever thankful. You know what, after half an hour later when I shit, I saw clearly that the colour was a little greenish. So old tales about shitting greenish faeces after a scare is true.

    We need to give more than we take for it is more blessed to give than to receive. Yes indeed we find that simple people like hawker, nasi lemak seller etc are much more gracious than big time city dwellers. May we embrace kindness and love more than we ever dare to think of hatred. For hatred comes from the devil the loser, lucifer.
    ~ahoo~

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear ahoo,

    Wow! What an awesome story! PTL for that young man who saved your life and for your testimony that blesses our heart. Thanks for your inspiring words.

    Today, another man gave me a present :-)a packet of sambal udang!. He is the boss of an economy rice coffee shop that I patronise very often. I am thankful for such humble people who are ever willing to give.

    No wonder our Father talked about the widow and her last coin - she gave all she had just like our Father in heaven.

    Take care and God bless you and yours always.

    Shalom

    Take care

  1. says:

    Anonymous Yes, in our work for the Myanmar refugees, we have economy rice sellers who are not of our faith but yet are willing to part all their unsold food for the refugees concern.

    Our team members will collect it once or twice a week subject to their leftovers. For they too witness and heard of the many problems facing these refugees.

    Time to be out and on the field again for the task ahead as Tuesday is my off-day for meeting people in need. Shalom and may the name of the most high one be glorified for now and evermore!
    ~ahoo~

  1. says:

    Masterwordsmith Dear ahoo

    I am greatly encouraged by your ministry, faith and desire to serve those who are in need. Please keep up the wonderful work and may the Lord bless you and your team and make straight your paths always.

    Shalom

Related Posts with Thumbnails
.