Till Death Do We Part - Final Part

Posted by Unknown On Tuesday, July 17, 2012 2 comments
The following story is an old but a beautiful and touching tale which has many lessons for all of us. Most websites chose to post only the first part of the story (until the florist) but I am posting it in full so that you can get the whole impact of how love, if not treasured - can be lost forever. Part 1 was posted HERE and Part 2 was posted HERE.

Carry Me In Your Arms - Final Part
-Author Unknown-

She closed her eyes and said softly.

"Let us start from today, don't tell our son." I nodded, feeling somewhat upset. I put her down outside the door. She went to wait for bus while I drove to office.

On the second day, both of us were more at ease with each other during the carrying process. She leaned on my chest. We were so close that I could smell the fragrance of her blouse. I realised that I hadn't looked this intimately at her carefully for a long time. I realized she was no longer young anymore. There were some fine wrinkles on her face.

On the third day, she whispered to me, "The outside garden is being demolished. Be careful when you pass there."

On the fourth day, when I lifted her up, I seemed to feel that we were still an intimate couple and I was holding my sweetheart in my arms. The visualization of Dew became vaguer.

On the fifth and sixth day, she kept reminding me about stuff around the house such as, where she put the ironed shirts, I should be careful while cooking, etc. I nodded. The sense of intimacy was even stronger.

I didn't tell Dew about this.

I felt it was easier to carry her with each passing day. Perhaps, the workout everyday made me stronger.
I said to her, "It seems not difficult to carry you now."

She was picking her dresses. I was waiting to carry her out. She tried quite a few but could not find a suitable one.

Then she sighed, "All my dresses have grown fatter."

I smiled. But I suddenly realized that it was because she was thinner that I could carry her more easily, not because I was stronger.

I knew she had buried all the bitterness in her heart. Again, I felt a sense of pain. Subconsciously I reached out a hand to touch her head. Our son came in at the moment.

"Dad, it's time to carry mum out." He said.

To him, seeing his father carry his mother out had become an essential part of his life. She gestured our son to come closer and hugged him tightly. I turned my face away because I was afraid I would change my mind at the last minute. I held her in my arms, walking from the bedroom, through the sitting room to the hallway. Her hands were wrapped around my neck softly and naturally. I held her body tightly as if it was our wedding day again. However, her much lighter weight made me sad.

On the last day, when I held her in my arms, I could hardly move a step. Our son had gone to school.
She said, "Actually I hope you will hold me in your arms until we are old."

I held her tightly and said, "Both you and I didn't notice that our life lack such intimacy."

I jumped out of the car swiftly without locking the door. I was afraid any delay would make me change my mind. I walked upstairs. Dew opened the door.

I said to her, "Sorry Dew, I won't get a divorce. I'm serious."

She looked at me, astonished. Then she touched my forehead, "You have no fever."

I moved her hand off my head.

"Sorry, Dew. I can only say sorry to you. I won't divorce my wife. My marriage life was boring probably because she and I didn't value the finer details of life, not because we didn't love each other any more. Now, I understand that since I carried her into our home and she gave birth to our child, I am supposed to hold her until I am old. So I have to say sorry to you."

That seemed to wake Dew up. She gave me a loud slap and then slammed the door and burst into tears.

I walked downstairs and drove to the office.

When I passed by the florist on the way, I ordered a bouquet of my wife's favourite flowers for her. The salesgirl asked me to write the greeting words on the card.

I smiled and wrote: "I'll carry you out every morning until we are old."

That was what he thought... he returned home with the hope of giving his wife the flowers.

As he came through the driveway, there were cars belonging to his and her family at his house. His heart was beating fast. Just as he was about to walk through the door, a stretcher with a body wrapped in white was coming out.

He sobbed his heart out as he realized it was his wife and that when he carried her out of the house in his arms that morning it was the last time.

He thought of all the time he'd wasted, the pain he caused his wife during her last days, not realizing he had given the virus to her, he realized then that he neglected a thing so beautiful and wonderful, a treasure he should have preserved, but it was too late, the damage had already been done.

All the things he could have done differently. All the things he could have said, all the times they could have done things to make their love grow, all the sweet memories they should have built.........nothing could turn back the clock.



Reality hit. He was a selfish self absorbent fool, a womanizer with no morals who brought shame and death to his home because of greed and lack of respect for women and in this case particularly his wife, and the sad reality of his wife dying and the inevitability of him too dying leaving their son an AIDS orphan hit home.

-Author Unknown-

Apparently, this is cited as a true story by many websites but I cannot verify if this is true. Even if it is just a piece of fiction, may it inspire us to love our spouses more.

To the Married: Don't take your marriage for granted. Remember to cherish, treasure and nurture love in the family.

To those who are single but wish to get married: Know your ideal partner and never settle for less less the marriage ends in the divorce court.



God bless you. Take care and do leave a comment to share your views/responses.

2 comments to Till Death Do We Part - Final Part

  1. says:

    samuel samson This story, fiction or true, has really touched me, i can say it cut right through the cheese.
    it got me thinking the harm we do bring upon ourselves and the ones we love because of our selfishness and thoughtlessness.
    it's truly is sad...i wish the wife never had to pass through life the way she did. God bless her soul

  1. says:

    Tiger I remember this story too, but it was told like an Indian fable to me.
    However, the moral holds true and I hope more couples nowadays will realise what they have instead of what they don't.
    The younger kids nowadays don't seem to be satisfied even with their life partners.
    And they forgot why they got married in the first place

Related Posts with Thumbnails
.