Remembering Chanel

Posted by Unknown On Sunday, October 21, 2012 0 comments
It is a sad day today. My son's cat, Chanel, passed away today from kidney failure. He was barely one year old. I first blogged about Chanel HERE.



I confess I am scared of cats because I was badly scratched by a cat when I was about five years old. Apart from that, I am also allergic to animal dander so I never had cats. Even when rearing hamsters, I used to be down with allergies all the time until I moved the cages out of the house.

I was not particularly pro-Chanel before I met him and tried to persuade my son to give him away. I had the same reaction when I first met him last November. He seemed er....over-friendly but as time passed, I realized he was actually a cutee. Despite me screaming away whenever he jumped on my bed, I really wanted to cuddle him and play with him.

And now, I will never have that chance.

My older boy is heartbroken. So am I because I know how he feels - because in many ways, he is like me. I wept buckets when my dogs and hamsters died, even when my goldfish passed away. In my younger days, I was even insane enough to lay hands on my goldfish to pray for them :-(. My favourite dog passed away four days before I got married and my wedding photos show the sadness on my face even thought it was supposed to be the happiest day of my life.

When I spoke to my boy yesterday, I had a hunch Chanel would pass away so I reminded him to check with the vet regarding Chanel's progress this morning. Then he called me early this afternoon to break the news. I was so upset and called Cat-in-Sydney to break the news to a fellow cat-lover and she explained to me that it was probably a congenital defect from birth as cats usually develop kidney problems when they are six. Later, Jon confirmed that the vet told him the same thing.

As a mom, my heart bleeds because my son is heartbroken. Honestly, my older boy is my mirror image in character and emotions. I can feel what he feels and vice versa cos we are just so alike. I know how sad he feels now and I am crying too because I wish I could be there to comfort him.

When any of my pets died, I took it so badly that till today, regardless of how strongly I beg or lobby or petition for another pet, my husband will not let me have another pet.

And I told my son the same thing - that he cannot have another pet until he has a less hectic lifestyle.

My heart broke when I called him after dinner to ask about what happened before Chanel was hospitalised and put on the drip....whether he had enough water, food etc. and then he related how Chanel used to eat a lot and kind of went off food for a month and lost weight which was why he sent him to the vet and the rest is history....

I wish I had been kinder and more loving to Chanel when I was with him last year...This is my prayer for Chanel...

Dear God,

My dearest son's cat, Chanel, went to heaven today. We know he is in a better place in pet heaven with you because he does not have to suffer here on earth any more.

Can you please take care of Chanel? I know he is a frisky cat but I also know that my dearest son misses him very much. Somehow, I believe you led Chanel to Jon so that he could have someone waiting for him when he went back home from work, someone he could talk to, scold or even shower love and attention.

Thank you, God, that you let Jon have Chanel for almost a year and thank you for all the happy moments that they shared. Thank you that he learnt what it is like to have a little baby to care for as he had Chanel from the time when he was a kitten.

I am sure you know what Chanel likes to eat and how he loves to play. Please make sure the other cats in heaven do not bully him...Thank you for your love and for teaching us how to love.

Please comfort my son during this time of loss and grief. Surround him with happy memories of Chanel and when he is flooded with memories of Chanel when at home, dry his tears, dear God. Give him strength to endure the pain and the loss. :-(

Thank you for the gift of life to all of us, humans and animals alike. Please bless pet lovers and their pets with health and beautiful memories.

Love,
Paula

*This post is dedicated to the memory of Chanel and also to my beloved Jon whom I love so much. Take care, son. Mom loves you - ALWAYS.

________________________

Specially dedicated to my son Jon and pet lovers

The Rainbow Bridge



Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All of the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor and those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing, they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, after so long a time, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face, your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life, but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together.

-Anonymous-

A Prayer For Dog and Cat Lovers
by anonymous

My life is likely to last 10-15 years. Any separation from you will be very painful for me. Remember that before you get me.

Give me time to understand what you want from me.

Place your trust in me. It is crucial to my well-being.

Don't be angry with me for long, and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work and entertainment as friends. I have only you.

Talk to me sometimes. Even if I don't understand your words, I understand your voice.

Be aware that however you treat me, I'll never forget it.

Please don't hit me. I can't hit back, but I can bite and scratch and I really don't want to do that.

Before you scold me for being uncooperative, obstinate or lazy, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right foods or I've been out in the sun too long or my heart is getting old and weak.

Take care of me when I get old. You will grow old, too. Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say "I can't bear to watch," or "Let it happen in my absence".

Everything is easier for me if you are there. Remember I love you!

0 comments to Remembering Chanel

Related Posts with Thumbnails
.