THE KOREAN CONNECTION

Posted by Unknown On Tuesday, July 27, 2010 11 comments
Today, I had another reunion with a student whom I taught in 1991. It has been 19 years since he first joined my Sociology class and it is amazing how we managed to forge a strong friendship beyond the classroom. The best part is that I was not his favorite teacher then but we get along very well now and I am also friends with his wife.

After picking them up from Hotel Royal along Larut Road, we proceeded to New World Park to savor banana leaf rice at Passions of Kerala. Philip and Sandra have an eight-month old daughter, Sophia, whom I adore to bits.


He is teaching in Korea and we had great fun exchanging notes about our teaching experiences.
We ordered banana leaf rice, mutton masala and of course the famous mango lassi. Here are some pics I took during the lunch.


In between the lunch, I took Sophia shopping and she chose a cute one for herself.


Here's one of the four of us.

After lunch, they visited me at home and we exchanged more notes about blogging. I am so thankful that despite the rough start we had in the classroom, we managed to see beyond our differences and are friends till today.

I am sure it is largely due to his teaching experience :-). As he shared with me how strict he was with his Korean students, I remarked that he was becoming somewhat like me :-) and we smiled knowingly at each other. He is a great person and I am so glad he and Sandra are happily married. Of course I advocated at least four to six kids :-).

They will be leaving on Sunday and I will miss them but I know in my heart that despite the thousands of miles separating us, we are as near as a thought. Thank goodness for Facebook that makes it so easier for us to be in touch.

Last week, I had two reunions, one with a friend who is an Assoc. Prof. at Harvard University and another with a couple from New Zealand. It has been lots of eating and blogging - not very good for my waistline. Straight after I put up this post, I am going for a brisk walk at the park near my home right after I drop my boy at his violin class.

My next sopo post will be up after dinner. Do swing by again. Take care everyone and have a lovely evening. Cheers!

11 comments to THE KOREAN CONNECTION

  1. says:

    Captain Obvious Dear masterwordsmith,

    While we're on the subject, my Korean connection is kimchi.

    Cheers!

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Captain Obvious

    Sadly, I can no longer enjoy kimchi because of gastric problems...Still, I enjoy their bbq's :-).

    Cheers

  1. says:

    Anonymous when CAN i datang with kg simme tarts !?

  1. says:

    Anonymous Ah, I just love Korean bulgogi and their many colourful dishes. But it will be cheaper to visit Europe than Korea for now ??? Things in Korea are not cheap and the Hotel rates in Seoul are too high as compared to our local rates, leh.

    3 to 4 stars Holiday Inn will cost over US 250. Maybe have to wait for AirAsia to fly Seoul than only can think of revisiting Korea.

    Thank God for educator like you. A teacher just teaches but an educator will teach and refine, hone the skill of their students. They will seek to nuture the strengths in their students rather then dwell on the students weaknesses and nag all day long.

    The many lives that you have had touched are seen from the many reunion to date and some coming from afar. I hope to rub some of this lesson into the lives of the OAs'. Change one generation to stand on their own in the likes of the bario tribe, just dreaming lah!
    ~ahoo~

  1. says:

    Darth Vader Dear ahoo.

    You still can visit Seoul. Accomodation there is not as expensive at you might think.

    I am a regular to Seoul and also Busan and can speak enough korean to get by.

    If you go with yr friends, you may want to check out Hotel Kaya which is very near to Seoul Station and from this station you can get anywhere you want especially shopping areas like NamDaeMun (Nam = south, Dae = Big, Mun = Gate/Door) or even to DongDaeMun by their ever efficient subway. Also, motels there are relatively cheap and very clean. There are a lot of motels in Korea.

    If we compare Korea and Bolehland, it is the sky and the land.

    also, if you can speak a little korean, they will treat you extremely well.

  1. says:

    Darth Vader Dear MWS,

    You still can have kimchi. But you have to take kimchi last!!!Just gotta eat other food 1st and have kimchi last.

    There are a few dishes you may want to try. Jajangmeon (something similiar to hokkien char), Tweanjang chi keh (bean paste soup) or if you like to try something different, you may want to try NengMyeon(Cold noodles)

    Kamsa hamnida.(감사합니다)

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Anon @ 7.53a.m.

    Anytime...please bring more simme tarts *slurp* haha!!

    White coffee is on me!

    Cheers

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear ahoo

    Many thanks for your kind and encouraging comments. Truly I am blessed to have taught those pupils in the past. If truth be told, I doubt I can make such connections with students nowadays...maybe on a smaller scale ...because it is so different. I saw it coming years ago and decided to retire when the 'sun' was still shining.

    Yes, it is truly amazing how many of my former students have gone on to carve beautiful lives for themselves. Friendship beyond the classroom is priceless.

    I pray the Lord will use you mightily as you minister to the OAs.

    Take care and may He open up more opportunities for you and your team.

    God bless you and yours always.

    Cheers

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Darth Vader

    Thanks for the tips. I am planning to visit Philip and Sandra in December (together with my younger boy) for him to have to chance to play in the snow :-).

    Hopefully, it will be an eye-opening experience for both of us.

    Thanks for sharing. Take care and God bless you and yours always!

    Cheers

  1. says:

    Unknown Dear Darth Vader

    Yes, kimchi on an empty stomach can trigger the gastric juices. Wow - you are really familiar with Korean cuisine. We don't have many good Korean restaurants in Penang but I love the ones in KL in the Korean enclave.

    Thanks for sharing. Take care and may God bless you and yours wherever you go.

    Shalom

  1. says:

    Anonymous Thank for the tips, Darth Vader. Usually, the reservation for Hotel room was booked by the korean principal and mostly ended up in Seoul nearer to their office.

    From their way of life and more refined culture, they are now a roaring Tiger as compared to us. In the 70s' and even 80s' we were ahead of them but sadly after those "monkeying" years, we are left to face reality now.

    From a top Asean nation to the back waters and even then still struggling for FDI versus nations like Vietnam, Cambodia and even Thailand, the land of many coups. No two ways about it, we must endeavor to usher in a govt who are interested in true democracy and meritocracy. Cheers!
    ~ahoo~

Related Posts with Thumbnails
.