DO YOU JIVE, QUICKSTEP OR SALSA ?

Posted by Unknown On Saturday, February 21, 2009 2 comments

It seems like not too long ago when I walked down the aisle in my white gown, long trailing veil, to exchange vows and thereafter changed my marital status.

Reality check. Twenty-five years. That is how long I have been married. Wow! We survived. Actually, it has been longer than that if I were to include the 6 years 4 months 2 weeks of courtship. Yea! That long.

My husband and I took dancing lessons years ago and it was not easy for us to move in sync with each other. Until today, I remember the significance of the difficulties we encountered in our Latin American and Ballroom Dancing classes. To me, a good relationship or marriage has a pattern like a dance and is built on some of the same rules.

The partners do not need to hold on tightly, because they move confidently in the same pattern, intricate, complicated sometimes, but gaily and freely be it a waltz, tango, quickstep and so on…maybe I should say salsa, hip-hop etc.


To touch heavily would be to arrest or retard the pattern and freeze the movement, to check the endlessly changing beauty of how the dance unfolds.

Think about it where relationships are concerned. Am I hitting any relevant notes?

There is no place for the possessive clutch, the clinging arm, the heavy hand…only the lightest touch in passing. Nonetheless, without being sexist, for girls, it is quite difficult for some not to be possessive. I suppose that is due to insecurity or their inborn mothering instinct …

Nagging, condemning, complaining and other negative comments when the dancing partner misses a step or a turn would exacerbate matters. When a partner falters, falls, fails to live up to expectations, what should be our correct response?

To condemn or to encourage? To attack or to support? To defend or to comply? Such difficult questions with even more difficult responses. To me, tolerance, forbearance and most of all, patience would save the day.

Holding hands Pictures, Images and Photos

Having said that, when arm in arm , face to face or even back to back depending on what type of dance, it does not matter IF and WHEN a couple becomes partners moving to the same groove or rhythm, creating a pattern, a lifestyle, a beautiful dance, a fulfilling life, and being invisibly nourished by it.

Do you jive, quickstep, salsa or are you in a strife?

holding hands:') Pictures, Images and Photos

Here's wishing you a wonderful lifetime of loving and sharing with your spouse/partner and if you have not found one yet, may you find one in time, and if your choice is singlehood - may you always be happy and fulfilled.

God bless you and yours and have a lovely weekend!!!


Text copyright © masterwordsmith 2009. All rights reserved.



2 comments to DO YOU JIVE, QUICKSTEP OR SALSA ?

  1. says:

    ocho-onda Hi Paula,

    Are you into salsa dancing as well!?!
    I heard Malaysia has caught up with the rest of the world after watching the Richard Gere/Jennifer Lopez dance movie !
    The salsa dance crazed started in Ireland about 6 years ago when salsa music (Marc Anthony) became very popular here.
    I managed to pick up a few dance moves when I was on vacation in Cuba some years back.
    I am not an expert, just learned enough to show off a bit on the dance floor ! :-)
    But I have to admit, I am very rusty from lack of practice !!!

  1. says:

    Unknown Hi Ocho-Onda,

    Yes,I did learn salsa and I must say it is very difficult for madam stiff bones here LOL!!!!

    I have an aunt who is a ballroom dance enthusiast and she, despite being over 70 years of age, competes annually at Blackpool, UK annually. Hehehe! She also laughs at me when I salsa haha :-)

    Malaysians, especially those in KL, are quite into salsa. In Penang, the dance crows prefer ballroom dancing and there is an international ballroom competition that is held annually in November. Most of the gyms have salsa classes and currently, belly-dancing is in vogue as well (No, i did not try it!!!! LOL!!!)

    While in US, I picked up meringue as well..I must say I prefer Latin American to Ballroom dancing because of the music and the energy!!! I almost fell asleep during the waltz classes while in line dancing classes, I always turned in the wrong direction :-).

    Wah - can show off on the dance floor?? Cool!!!

    It is a very entertaining form of exercise...

    Thanks for popping by...

    Have a great weekend and may you salsa lots too!

    cheers

Related Posts with Thumbnails
.